Question related to ball joint recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dotcentral

Reaction score
Moderator, feel free t move this if it should be posted elsewhere.

Just had the recall LBJ replacement done. I asked if they would check the alignment of the front end, was told it is not necessary. Is this true? Thanks.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
it is not necessary and they will charge you for it, unless your jeeps pulling to a side noticeably. I could take the exit without touching the steering wheel... I went back got it aligned.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had no issues with mine, mine actually had an alignment two days before it got the recall done for other reasons, but I noticed no problems after the recall was done.

2003KJ

Reaction score
They claim it's not necessary. However, when I made an appointment to bring mine in back in the fall, I questioned about them doing an alignment as part of the recall, MY dealer said they would.

I got it done, went to pick it up, and got on the highway and could make a nice smooth lane change to the left simply by letting go of the wheel. This was WAY beyond the normal pull the road does.

I went back and had to fight them, as they claimed it was still in spec. They eventually caved in and did it, but to this day it stills pulls to the left. If anything lets go, or I start to see unusual tire wear, it's going to be back to the dealer for me.

Bottom line. Take it for a test drive before you get too far from the dealer and see if there are any alignment issues.

resipsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine done in November just after the recall was issued (hadn't even gotten my notice yet). I took my Libby to the dealer because my part-time was having trouble disengaging (problem was related to unmatched tires). Anyhoo, they told me they did the recall. Two days later, while pulling into the Firestone parking lot (to get my 4 new Revo's =D> ) I noticed a creaking sound while braking. Had Firestone check it out while it was there, and they said, "bad ball joints." So I took it back to the dealer, where they told me the ball joints were fine, and it was probably the brake job I had done at Firestone three months earlier, and that the rotors probably needed resurfacing. Oy vey. I've let it go since then. Any ideas?