Question on the EVIC Compass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just curious to know if the compass on the EVIC require calibration; for you to spin in a circle like aftermarket digital compasses.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is some blub in the owners manual about compass calibration, but if I remember correctly it only needs to be done after a degaussing, from the factory it should be calibrated, but the variance needs to be set, depending on your location you need to set the variance to your area, the owners manual explains it, if you do not have an owners manual post your state and i will give you the variance number.

Bob

thx1138

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure they're calibrated if the libby comes with it from the factory. In my case, i installed a new one from Mopar and i had to drive across the street from my house to the local high school parking lot and drive in a circle 3 times and voila!...working compass.

roadrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've installed a few. They all seem to calibrate themselves in short order, even if you don't drive around in circles. You should input the correct variation though.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took a peak into the manual today. It appears the compass does require three rotations.

Well, I don't have an EVIC...yet. Just wondering... Christmas time is coming and was just wondering if I should accept a digital compass as a gift or pass on it and go for an EVIC with my own money.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't picked up my Liberty yet nor have I seen it, will in the morning after a 300 mile drive in a new Rubicon. My question is how will I know if I have an EVIC? There is not a specific option for it. My liberty will be a limited with the G package, sun roof and tire preassure monitor. So will I get the EVIC? The Rubicon has a similar option in the rear view mirror and it is kind of nice to have.

Thanks in advance.

dnm45227

Reaction score
waldn said:
it will look like this
You must be registered for see images

I hadn't noticed that the EVIC came with a guy and camera in the back seat.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I will look for that. I was so transfixed by the guy in the back seat that I almost missed the EVIC too.

Anyone know what option triggers getting the EVIC in a 2006 CRD Limited?

waldn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[quote="dnm45227
I hadn't noticed that the EVIC came with a guy and camera in the back seat.[/quote]

lol your right it doesn't

that's actually the front drivers seat (biggrin)

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Answered my own question. EVIC is standard on the Limited "G" option group! Need to read all the fine print in the sales liturature! ](*,)

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll need to set your variance first, then you can calibrate. Here's some info from the manual.

You must be registered for see images

Setting Variance
(1) Using the Variance Settings map, find your geographic location and note the zone number (Fig. 5).
(2) Turn the ignition switch to the On position. If the compass/thermometer data is not currently being displayed, momentarily depress and release the C/T push button to reach the compass/thermometer display.
(3) Depress the Reset push button and hold the button down until “VARIANCE = XX” appears in the display. This takes about five seconds.
(4) Release the Reset push button. “VARIANCE=XX ” will remain in the display. “XX” equals the current variance zone setting.
(5) Momentarily depress and release the Step push button to step through the zone numbers, until the zone number for your geographic location appears in the display.
(6) Momentarily depress and release the Reset push button to enter the displayed zone number into the CMTC module memory.
(7) Confirm that the correct directions are now indicated by the compass.

Calibrating the Compass
The electronic compass unit features a self-calibrating design, which simplifies the calibration procedure. This feature automatically updates the
compass calibration while the vehicle is being driven. This allows the compass unit to compensate for small changes in the residual magnetism that the vehicle may acquire during normal use. If the compass readings appear to be erratic or out of calibration, perform the following calibration procedure. Also, new service replacement Compass Mini-Trip Computer
(CMTC) modules must have their compass calibrated using this procedure. Do not attempt to calibrate the compass near large metal objects such as other vehicles, large buildings, or bridges; or, near overhead or
underground power lines.

Calibrate the compass manually as follows:
(1) Turn the ignition switch to the On position. If the compass/thermometer data is not currently being displayed, momentarily depress and release the C/T push button to reach the compass/thermometer display.
(2) Depress the Reset push button and hold the button down until “CAL” appears in the display. This takes about ten seconds, and appears about five seconds after “VARIANCE = XX” is displayed.
(3) Release the Reset push button.
(4) Drive the vehicle on a level surface, away from large metal objects and power lines, through three or more complete circles at between five and eight kilometers-per-hour (three and five miles-per-hour) in not less than 48 seconds. The “CAL” message will disappear from the display to indicate that the compass is now calibrated.

NOTE: If the “CAL” message remains in the display, either there is excessive magnetism near the compass, or the unit is faulty. Repeat the calibration procedure one more time.

NOTE: If the wrong direction is still indicated in the compass display, the area selected for calibration may be too close to a strong magnetic field. Repeat the calibration procedure in another location.