Question about Soft 8's...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

revolutionwanted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
North Carolina, US. Originally So. Maryland.
I bought some Soft 8's last week and when they arrived they were excessively dented and dinged around the outside edge of the wheel. One of them had a valve stem sticking out. They looked like they were bought, mounted, and returned. So I sent those back and told Summit what happened; they sent me 5 new ones. Or so I thought...

Last night I received the so called 5 new ones and they are also dented and scratched around the outside ridge where the tire meets the wheel.

Is this from shipping? Should I return these and go to another vendor? Small paint spots are chipped off and I'm worried about rust.

Or should I just suck it up and go by some touch up paint?

Input needed. Thank you.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure when I bought my cragers I got them from summit and they arrived 100% ok. No dents or dings what so ever. Thats something I would of never accepted.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah mine arrived without damage( or valve stems) to them. I would send them back till you get what you paid for....NEW!! not almost new. :)

Tell them Jegs sell the same wheels....they might want to keep your business then. ;)

revolutionwanted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this whole situation has been a pain. I think I'll return this set as well. I think the problem is in the packing/ shipping. They are just in a cardboard box with no padding. Traveling from OH to NC might take it's toll on them via UPS.

Summit just called a few minutes ago to see if they arrived okay. I'll call them back here shortly to get the shipping labels. The whole situation is irritating and a huge inconvenience, but hey... I paid for them, I should get what I'm paying for.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
call summit back and ask to talk to someone higher. There sould be no cost on your end. You could try bringing up the BBB, but any company that large should be able to handle its costumer service in the corrsct fashion. their fault all the way

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when you do get them returned, you should ask for a discount and take nothing less than 25%. That's what I did with one of my purchases from amazon.com when they got it wrong, 3 times, and the last time I got free shipping and 35% off the product.

pssbarry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't have to pay the freight to ship them back . Tell Summit to issue a UPS call tag and have them picked up. This way Summits UPS account is billed and you do not have to pay.

Back-n-Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Realy if it is just some paint blimishs touch them up and be done with it. No harm no foul. If there are dent and or damamge to the metal then of course ship them back. I don't order from Summit anymore as they suck. Jegs is the way to go and is normaly cheaper and better service.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Mad at Summit but not the shippers???? Strange, but if they were mine and scuffed/chipped a bit around the edges, I would paint them with some touch up paint and move on with life, You're bound to hit some curbs/rocks/ trees sooner or later anyways so run them and forget the whole thing.

Didn't think anyone bought Soft 8s for the looks

revolutionwanted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regardless of why I bought them, functionality or for the looks... I bought a new product. I don't want something to rust as soon as it rains because either the warehouse at Summit or the shipper decided to throw them around.

Either way. Summit finally came around to providing me with shipping labels. They are going out today. I'll get the full refund and go somewhere else.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regardless of why I bought them, functionality or for the looks... I bought a new product. I don't want something to rust as soon as it rains because either the warehouse at Summit or the shipper decided to throw them around.
Exactly!

I would keep on them until you are satisfied.

That is pretty weird though. I have always had good luck with Summit.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
honestly im guessing it was a fluk, summit does have a good reputation. with a big company accidents do happen, im glad that summit did the right thing i didnt think they would let the mess up end bad. i wouldnt let this stop purchasing from summit

Back-n-Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not me. They always take your order, promise the part is in stock, then a day or two later tell you it is special order and you have to wait. To me that is false advertising. In stock means it is setting on a shelf right behind you ready for a shipping label, not someone, somewhere has one and we will get it as soon as we can. Summit *****.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Not me. They always take your order, promise the part is in stock, then a day or two later tell you it is special order and you have to wait. To me that is false advertising. In stock means it is setting on a shelf right behind you ready for a shipping label, not someone, somewhere has one and we will get it as soon as we can. Summit *****.

Sure is false advertising. I have never ordered from there, and after this don't plan to in the near future.

revolutionwanted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first order might have been a fluke. I even told them that on the phone which is why I let them send me a new set instead of the refund. Apparently, in the first order, four of the five were previously purchased and returned; one of the reps tracked it for me. I guess they slipped through the cracks and were put back in queue without being checked.

I cannot confirm or deny that it was Summit or UPS this second time. Either way, I'll just go with someone else. I'll definitely keep JEGS in mind for the future.

Greenjeep

Reaction score
Just to put my opinion of both companies in, I prefer Jegs way over Summit Racing. Living in Columbus, OH, I have the opportunity to shop at both places in person quite frequently. I went to Summit a couple times for a race car I used to have, and their customer service was such a pain to deal with, even in person. I had a couple problems problems that were hard to resolve with them. Jegs, on the other hand, have always had top notch customer service whether it's with help finding a product, or resolving issues. They even took the time out to print every single recipt for everything I have ever bought there when my car was stolen and I had to show proof of parts to the insurance company. I have also worked a few charity events at their race team's garage. The owners and employees of Jegs are all very nice and sincerely care for your needs.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my Cragar Black D's from Summit. They were split between 2 warehouses and shipped from different places. All arrived brand spankin' new. No scratches, no dings.

I would make them pay for return shipping, and make them give new wheels. Or... make them give you a discount for used product.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i retract my statment if they have bad costumer service and dont try to fix the service.....they suck