Question about 4WD when in 2WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjpaguy

Reaction score
'05 Renny with auto trans. Nope, no full time. Just 2HI, 4PART and 4LOW. And N obviously.

Robsoma, your only option from my understanding is the selectrac has an extra option of 4part, the command trac only has the 4hi or 4lo, which gives equal power distribution to the front and rear wheels. both transfer cases offer the 4hi and 4lo, so you have the command trac

I wish mine had the select trac cause when its raining and hydroplaning is an issue the 4part time helps or when going around a bend

please someone correct me if I am wrong

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Robsoma, your only option from my understanding is the selectrac has an extra option of 4part, the command trac only has the 4hi or 4lo, which gives equal power distribution to the front and rear wheels. both transfer cases offer the 4hi and 4lo, so you have the command trac

I wish mine had the select trac cause when its raining and hydroplaning is an issue the 4part time helps or when going around a bend

SelecTrac has 2WD, 4WD Hi, 4WD Lo, FullTime 4WD.

And yes, the FullTime 4WD option is great for road use in the rain or any wet/dry/slippery road conditions not quite bad enough for regular old 4WD Hi.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You need to change part to full. 4full in your post instead of 4part. Full time is actually the extra mode you speak of.

kjpaguy

Reaction score
SelecTrac has 2WD, 4WD Hi, 4WD Lo, FullTime 4WD.

And yes, the FullTime 4WD option is great for road use in the rain or any wet/dry/slippery road conditions not quite bad enough for regular old 4WD Hi.

okay so the slectrac has 4hi and 4 full time, wasn't sure how it looked since I don't have one

just read the transfer case section in the jeep thread above and they described a little differently

thanks for clearing it up