Q. Aries Brush Guard Instalation/tow hook removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bohica-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Q.Is it posible to remove your front tow hooks and install the brush gaurd without taking off the plastic bumper?
Yesterday my KJ was in the shop to get the LBJ's changed. The machanic saw the brush guard in the back seat and said he could install it. He tried like hell to remove the tow hooks without, at least, dislodging the lower portion of the bumper....he said he couldnt do it.. The plastic bumper is held on by plastic "pop" style rivets that, he said, he'd break if he took them out and I he didnt have replacements for them.
Q. can these rivets be reused and can they be taken out without ruining them?

It looks like, with the right tools, you could easily remove the tow hooks. and once they're out of the way there would be plenty of room to install the brackets for the brush guard. Me and a friend of mine are going to try it later this afternoon.

One more Q. What size are the bolts that hold the tow hooks on? they look to be around 13-16mm to me

Thanks in advance......Tony

mcdougal

Reaction score
It is possible to install and/or remove the front tow hooks without removing the front bumper or plastic rivets. I recently installed frnt tow hooks on 06 ltd kj. If you remove the 3 nuts holding the lower air dam (under the front) it will give you more play/flex in the front allowing you to install/remove the hooks. The first hook can be a real pain until you understand how to put it in. There are two nuts holding the hook in place which is threaded to a u-bolt that loops through the front frame (be careful not to loose the bolt). It's a challenge but is possible without removing the bumper.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mcdougal said:
It is possible to install and/or remove the front tow hooks without removing the front bumper or plastic rivets. I recently installed frnt tow hooks on 06 ltd kj. If you remove the 3 nuts holding the lower air dam (under the front) it will give you more play/flex in the front allowing you to install/remove the hooks. The first hook can be a real pain until you understand how to put it in. There are two nuts holding the hook in place which is threaded to a u-bolt that loops through the front frame (be careful not to loose the bolt). It's a challenge but is possible without removing the bumper.

Ive read that the factory installed tow hooks are different than the tow hooks put on aftermarket. The Aftermarket Mopar hooks have the U-bolt like you were talking about, the factory hooks do not. Im not sure if this is true since Ive never removed factory hooks, this is just what I read. O:)

bohica-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
these are factory installed. And from the look on my machanics face, the nuts and bolts were pretty tight!! With the limited space to give them a good pull, I think thats why he wanted to remove the bumper.

what about the rivets? do they just pop in and out? or, if you pop them out, do you need to replace them?

bohica-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Mechanic is an IDIOT!!!!

All it took is a little initiative. I installed this in my parking lot using a Chaftsman 3/8'' drive ratchet and a hand full of metric sockets \:D/
Less than an hours worth of work!!!!

IMG_0014_001.JPG

IMG_0015_001.JPG

I think it looks KICK-A$$ !!!!!!!!!!!!!

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
=D>

Looks awesome. I easily installed/removed my front tow hooks without taking the bumper off as well. I had my shop install my front Brush Guard, but that was because they basically gave me the guard.

vesh17

Reaction score
two part question here..

will this aries brush guard fit an 06 renegade?? and if so.. is there a fog light mounting on it?

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the brush guard look cool but I will never under stand why on earth some one would remove something as vital as their tow hooks to install something for looks only
from the looks of the terrain in the back ground tow hooks should be priority 1 the the "bling" should come second if time permits

I must have some really miss placed priorities because I just dont get it

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the brush guard look cool but I will never under stand why on earth some one would remove something as vital as their tow hooks to install something for looks only
from the looks of the terrain in the back ground tow hooks should be priority 1 the the "bling" should come second if time permits

I must have some really miss placed priorities because I just dont get it
^^^^^X2^^^^^

I agree 100%.

Plus brush guards will do more damage in a front end collision then not having one on.And don't try to pull from that brush guard,it will pull right off,and then your screwed,up a s&$t creek without a paddle,well you get the idea.