Pulling a trailer this weekend.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SETexasLibby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything I should know? My libby is up to date on maintainence and i've checked tires and etc. I've just never used the libby for towing. I do have the HD cooling elements from factory and i'm rated at 5000lbs. I will be driving from Houston to Austin (150ish miles) then from Austin to San Antonio (70ish miles) then from San Antonio to Houston ( 190ish miles).

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Take the KJ out of overdrive when you tow... otherwise you risk overheating the transmission.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you towing? The other thing I've found works for me (pulling roughly 4000 lb travel trailer) is using cruise control if you have it - for me it seems to minimize shifting and helps prevent the ****** "hunting" for the right gear, especially on hills - just let it do it's thing.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry... wasn't paying attention. :eek:

On the KJ's, there is a button along side of the shifter that you can press that will activate/deactivate your overdrive. I'm not familiar if the KK's have that function as well. Someone else may have to confirm that.

SETexasLibby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you towing? The other thing I've found works for me (pulling roughly 4000 lb travel trailer) is using cruise control if you have it - for me it seems to minimize shifting and helps prevent the ****** "hunting" for the right gear, especially on hills - just let it do it's thing.

Pulling a trailer and a few things on it for my brother in law who is going back to college. Couch (maybe), Bed, etc. Just a few big items. He can move his smaller stuff i'm just moving the larger objects.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the KK have a "tow/haul mode" button or something like that? I can't remember. I think that takes it out of OD.

Sounds like you won't have a ton of weight (pun intended ;) ), should be fine!

NewJeepOwner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled a UHaul 6x12 from Colorado to Ohio recently ..aside from the trailor's running lights being out (not a good thing to discover on the freeway at night) I had no issues

Libby pulled like a champ ...Just make sure you distribute the weight properly in / on the trailor

NC Hauler

Reaction score
I towed a 3500# Coachman pop-up for a little over a year through the mountains of NC, SC, TN and VA. Jeep did great, I used the Tow/Haul option and of course I have a brake controller to help with down hill slowing. Son now has the pop up and tows it with a Jeep Commander. I was surprised at how well the Liberty towed the pop-up.

Matt

Reaction score
Oh, you will be fine towing! With that little weight, you won't even have to worry about going into tow/haul mode (button is next to the shifter).

Here's our KK towing our 19' boat.
You must be registered for see images

superliberty

Reaction score
Oh, you will be fine towing! With that little weight, you won't even have to worry about going into tow/haul mode (button is next to the shifter).

Hey Matt are you in florida? that area looks like fort lauderdale

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled a UHaul 6x12 from Colorado to Ohio recently ..aside from the trailer's running lights being out (not a good thing to discover on the freeway at night) I had no issues

Libby pulled like a champ ...Just make sure you distribute the weight properly in / on the trailor

U-Haul trails are notorious for not being road worthy. I've rented a few of their vehicle carriers and often find lights not working, safety chains & straps missing and even suspect tires. Inspect the trailers before signing the paperwork

SETexasLibby it sounds like the trailer you're planing to haul isn't a big one that has trailer brakes and isn't going to max out your Libby's towing capacity. When I tow I also turn off my OD but only when going up hills.

Just be sure to pack everything well and tie everything down. The highways are littered with lost furniture.

wengerda

Reaction score

Matt,

Is your boat needs the 5 wire connection? I purchased a new 2011 Renegade and it comes with the 4 wire connection, my 19 foot Sea Ray trailers used 5 wire connection (back up lights or something), Do I need to take my vehicle to have installed the 5 wire? Tks.

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is alittle off topic but I passed a kj towing a very large boat about 2.5 times the legnth and 1.5 Times as tall. I didnt even notice it was a liberty because it was so wide I couldnt see what was towing it. A guy in a 350 was towing the same boat infront of him. This was also durring the snow and he didnt have any problems taking off and manuvering. I would have taken a picture but I was responding to a call. You will be ok :D