proud new owner of an '02 Sport 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t-tops

Reaction score
Hello everyone! \:D/

My name's Anthony and I just bought a 2002 Liberty Sport last week. I was searching for lift kits and came across the forum and had to join. I'm extremely happy with my Jeep... love the ride, love the 4wd, love the look... and after driving a 92 Chevy full size van (5.7L V8) I actually love the gas mileage! The only problem I have with it is tires. It has these 215/75R16 go-kart tires on and I was looking to move up to a 245/70 on the stock rims. I don't think I'll have a problem with them before I lift it under normal driving conditions, but does anyone know how it would perform off the pavement with this size? Anyone run this size without a lift and take it off road?

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new Jeep. I've heard of people putting on tires that size, but it is usually for a very short time until they get a lift. This is especially true if you get something with a very aggressive tread, like MT/Rs.

t-tops

Reaction score
well I'm looking to lift it in the late spring/early summer, but the tires are extremely bald, and should be replaced ASAP. i was hoping to go with a tire that i could get now, but wouldn't look out of place once i get the lift kit.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, mine was lifted for a very short time, and I didnt think it looked all that stupid with the stock tires. I actually kinda liked the scale.

57gldtp

Reaction score
t-tops,
Welcome & congrats on your purchase. I have an 02 Lib Sport & I
put a set of 235/70s on it w/o a lift. It works just fine for me.

You must be registered for see images attach

57GT O:)

csukoh78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got anymore pics of that stocker with the lift kit? about to do the same....thanks!

t-tops

Reaction score
thanks, everyone!

well, i went to costco to price out the BFG T/A KO's in a 235/70 and they gave me a price of $119 each with balancing and installation or $108 for just the tire. this just doesn't seem right. i thought they'd be much more expensive. costco is actually coming up $34 cheaper than tirerack.com. has anyone else used costco for tires?

65thkj

Reaction score
I have used Costco for my firebird and my old Ford Ranger. It really is a good deal because you get lifetime balancing and tire rotation. Every 5k miles you can bring the car in and theyll rotate and rebalance for free. Only problem w/ Costco is that they won't put a tire on if the size did not come as a factory size. I want to go to 245/70R16s and they refuse to do it.

t-tops

Reaction score
65thkj said:
I have used Costco for my firebird and my old Ford Ranger. It really is a good deal because you get lifetime balancing and tire rotation. Every 5k miles you can bring the car in and theyll rotate and rebalance for free. Only problem w/ Costco is that they won't put a tire on if the size did not come as a factory size. I want to go to 245/70R16s and they refuse to do it.

i actually had the same exact problem. i was looking to go to a 245/70 and they refused. they gave me a hard time about going to 235/70 because i don't have a renegade, but they buckled. the pricing aside, the lifetime balancing/rotation really was what sold the deal.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
235/70 is one of the stock sizes and they shouldn't give you a hastle.

Welcome to the site. There are good people and information here.

Dave

t-tops

Reaction score
thanks a lot, really. everyone on here has been such a huge help... i'm completely new to the jeep world and this forum has really cleared up a ton of questions i've had.

cpliberty04

Reaction score
I'm running 235/70-16s on my 2004 stock Liberty with no problems at all. I love the tires and with Firestone they also offer lifetime rotation. As I recently found out when I had a large nail stuck in one of the tires, Firestone also offers free patching. I was shocked when I asked how much it would cost to plug the leak and was told 'nothing'. Cool deal \:D/ I'm getting my Rusty lift installed next Friday and will move up to 245/70-16s with Firestone Destination ATs.