Protek's trail rig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

protek yer neck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now the sweet stuff
You must be registered for see images

protek yer neck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the sawsall came out today, I only did the front, following the exo. I gota draw some pics for the rear, you know its gota look good

I'm making coil mounts on the lower control arm, so I don't have to move the coil bucket forward. There's enuf crap up there as it is,
I'm stuck right now I need to move the track bar mount forward, but it lines up directly with the steering box, if I weld the track bar mount to the frame it'll make changing the steering box a pain, and if I bolt it, the bolts will be right into the side of the box. Maybe I will buy a orbital valve and be done with it.
As for lockers don't know yet, probably run open for a little, probably weld the rear, my boss has some gears for me 5.86's but I don't know if they'll be to harsh for the doubler

protek yer neck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got some stuff done tonight, for a change... or it feels like it anyway, since I wasted all that time on the stuff for the steering I'm not going to use now. So I got all the hydraulic crap together, orbital valve, pump(s), and balanced double action cylinder (thanks steph) everything bench tested and works great. now fabing up brackets for everything and sorta finished the track bar

view from outsidete shop, I caught 2 diffrent dilivery guys takin pic on there cell phones

orbital valve where the steering box was

cylinder tacked up

upper trackbar mount

and an axle stinger to pro-tek the cylinder

protek yer neck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
since I'm going to install a high flow power steering pump, I wanted to try somthing. I fully rebuilt the stock XJ steering pump, the stock valve should be putting out around 2.5gpm so I drilled it out to just under double the size, polished and reinstalled it. hopfully raiseing the flow to somewhere around 5gpm, if it works I've tought myself something, if it blows up it was all in good fun.

you can see the valve drilled near the tip of the screwdriver

also I plan on tapping the stock steering box for ram assist, just to say I have, probaly sell it when its done

finished coil mounts, had to raise them 4"s, also finished track bar, steering is almost complete

pump reinstalled

all hoses run and cooler mounted (under the fan in the wind)

final ride hight

protek yer neck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics from today
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

steering done! ....almost

protek yer neck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW is all I have to say, really hard to get a tire off the ground, works better than i thought it would anyways rear shocks are not hooked up but who needs em anyways, I thought it would bog alot more then it does still climbs rocks like a champ

stuff'n 40's

protek yer neck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id been thinking about this for a while, seeing Sams build motivated me to post this.

I need tube and lots of it

WarVet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the sawsall came out today, I only did the front, following the exo. I gota draw some pics for the rear, you know its gota look good

I'm making coil mounts on the lower control arm, so I don't have to move the coil bucket forward. There's enuf crap up there as it is,
I'm stuck right now I need to move the track bar mount forward, but it lines up directly with the steering box, if I weld the track bar mount to the frame it'll make changing the steering box a pain, and if I bolt it, the bolts will be right into the side of the box. Maybe I will buy a orbital valve and be done with it.
As for lockers don't know yet, probably run open for a little, probably weld the rear, my boss has some gears for me 5.86's but I don't know if they'll be to harsh for the doubler

You sir, are a true visionary and an artist...well done!

Latest posts

Members online