Pros and Cons of General Grabbers AT2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tires have a harmonics hum in the 35 to 45 mph range on some surfaces, nothing real loud but worse than the stockers. Much better tire on all surfaces and weather. Mine were in the $90 range each, 255/70X16.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are loud, not real loud though. I cannot stand loud tires humming all the time going down the interstate at 75, but these seem to have a really nice hum that I like. They seem to quite down after 45-50, but you can still hear them at hw speeds.

I also noticed some more body roll due to the higher sidewall. I was use to little 235/65 tires and going up to these makes a big difference in handling. The wet/dry traction is good, but they like to slide if you take the corners to fast b/c of the thick tread they have.

For the price, they cannot be beat. I paid $90 a pop with $80 for shipping from tirerack.com.

Brigrat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
Pros: Low price

Cons: Low price for a reason.

Here we go again...what is that reason...they have a tread pattern that is basically identical to the BFG AT's, but General stands behind there product with a 60,000 mile warantee, whereas BFG has NO WARANTEE AT ALL.

I have owned both brands, and frankly money is not an issue for me. I am unable to come up with a single reason to go with the BFG's over the General Grabbers.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brigrat said:
jfortier777 said:
Pros: Low price

Cons: Low price for a reason.

Here we go again...what is that reason...they have a tread pattern that is basically identical to the BFG AT's, but General stands behind there product with a 60,000 mile warantee, whereas BFG has NO WARANTEE AT ALL.

I have owned both brands, and frankly money is not an issue for me. I am unable to come up with a single reason to go with the BFG's over the General Grabbers.

Neither of us are tire engineers, so we have no right to judge which is better, but there is a reason the generals are so cheap and the BFGs are not.

You get what you pay for and if you want economy grade, you get economy grade.

People dont buy the BFG AT for tread life, they buy it for pure performance quality, and the generals just dont have that reputation.

But even a glance at the treads shows obvious differences in quality. If you can't tell the difference between them then ...EDIT

Brigrat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
since neither of us are tire experts like you stated, then quality of work is purely subjective as well.

Like I said, I have owned both, wheeled with both, and driven with both...Unless you can make that claim, I sincerely doubt that you really know about the quality of the generals.

I suspect that most of the BFG flunky's who bash the General's are doing so to attempt to justify the money they wasted to get a tire that is no better in real life comparisons, and is NOT WARANTEED by anyone...particularly its manufacturer...

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brigrat said:
since neither of us are tire experts like you stated, then quality of work is purely subjective as well.

Like I said, I have owned both, wheeled with both, and driven with both...Unless you can make that claim, I sincerely doubt that you really know about the quality of the generals.

I suspect that most of the BFG flunky's who bash the General's are doing so to attempt to justify the money they wasted to get a tire that is no better in real life comparisons, and is NOT WARANTEED by anyone...particularly its manufacturer...

I welcome you to bash the BFGs all you want, its your right; but don't make it personal and start throwing insulting names around; that exactly what we are trying to avoid in this forum.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
How are they on wet roads? Sister is looking for a set, not sure what to recommend to her.

I'm assuming they run pretty good. Look at the nice tread and pattern. In fact, These may be my next tire but I will have to continue looking at reviews. I do like the fact that some people have ran both BFG and Generals. It gives a good difference between the two (if there is a difference?).

I just hope that anyone who has ran both will give a fair comparison. Sometimes folks just give great reviews because they own the tire. I'm curious to see how long they last, etc...

What about Revos? Or have I asked that already ($$$)?

subkron

Reaction score
I'm looking for the same answers but it's hard to get any true comparative information.

It's easy to say "you get what you pay for", but I haven't found any reviews on the AT2 that indicate this is the case.

Best pricing around here was quoted around $494 for 4 (mounted/balanced/etc.) for 245/70R16 AT2 ($622 for 5). The Revos were well over that ($664 out the door).

I have yet to get a clear cut answer on why I should spend the extra $$ for the Revos, so I'll probably go w/the AT2s.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
Brigrat said:

I welcome you to bash the BFGs all you want, its your right; but don't make it personal and start throwing insulting names around; that exactly what we are trying to avoid in this forum.

I HATE MIAH!!! 8-[ JK.

Ive had them offroad once and they seem to do great. I was in some mud(not deep) and they went right through it.

The only difference I see is the generals can take studs for ice where hte BFG's cannot. I couldnt afford the BFG's so I got something better for cheap. \:D/

Brigrat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
Brigrat said:

Just to be clear...I am not bashing BFG's, they are great tires, I just don't think they offer anything in terms of difference to warantee the additional cost.

And I did not, and will not call you any insulting names. When I said flunky's I was refferencing people in general who automatically swear by BFG's and will not give ANY other brand a try. There is nothing to get up tight about...golly I sure hope I didn't disrespect the forum with the terrible word flunky...

Brigrat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In wet weather they seem to do very well. The only area that I have found where they don't excel is in deep mud. The lugs don't self clean very well, but since I live in the desert...mud is generally not much of an issue lol

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brigrat said:
In wet weather they seem to do very well. The only area that I have found where they don't excel is in deep mud. The lugs don't self clean very well, but since I live in the desert...mud is generally not much of an issue lol

Incidentally, the BFGs perform very well in deep mud. (see photobucket)

But hey no worries, about that other crap, I thought you were just ******* all over my opion of the BFGs, which I REALLY like and will buy again.

To each his own right? Hooray for brotherhood!

Latest posts

Members online