proper operation of flipper glass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bheiser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 06 Sport (55K miles) that I bought about a week ago. In reading the forums I think I've discovered the tailgate "flipper" glass is supposed to open automatically when the tailgate key fob remote button is pressed.

Mine pops out an inch or two and I need to pull on it to get it to lift ... and then (because I'm 6' tall) I need to push it further to get it to lift out of (my head's) harm's way.

The same thing happens when I half-pull the tailgate handle .. the glass pops out an inch or two, then the rest is manual.

Are these supposed to open and fully rise automatically when the button is pressed or the handle is triggered? Maybe I need to replace the struts? The struts hold the glass up just fine, but just need some "encouragement" to open...

It's not a biggie but just askin' :)

Last edited:

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you need new struts for the glass. mine are a little weak at the top end, but still pops most of the way open (also an '06)

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rear glass doesn't go all the way up when it's below about 20 degrees. But, I'm not guessing that is a problem in San Fransisco:rolleyes:

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got down to 34 degrees in Union City, about 15 miles south of Frisco, last week!

bheiser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback! Yeah, it's almost always well above freezing here :). But this symptom is happening even when it's in the garage in the 60's.
The funny thing is, I just replaced the tailgate struts in my XJ just before I sold it - but that was a different reason - those wouldn't hold the gate up.

I notice the Monroe shocks have two different part numbers, I'm assuming for left & right. But it's funny they're priced differently, one is $14 and the other is $16.
:shrug:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Turbo encapulator is on the right, and therefore need to be stronger, so more expensive.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have and '06 as well and I'll have to replace mine soon; they are toast. Mine wont hold they window up all the way, it droops down a noticeable amount.

Good on 'ya AZmotoman for posting the link. That'll cut down on my searching around.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine are hit and miss. Sometimes they will completely open the glass and other times I have to assist it. Funny thing is temperature is not a factor cause it is hit and miss whether the temperature is 90 degrees or below 0 (spent some time in tahoe last week).

bheiser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I replaced the two flipper glass struts with the Monroe #901512's. Now it pops right up like it's supposed to - cool! :). It still opens slowly for the last several inches (maybe a feature to keep it from hitting at the end of the strut travel?).

And when closing it, there's a point about halfway down where it doesn't want to move. It feels like at that point the angle is such that there's not enough leverage to move it without a lot of force. If I close it very slowly, it does better... maybe it'll get better with use...