Prop shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awhile ago I replaced the rear CV onto the front prop shaft from transfer to diff. I have a vibration that seems to only be there at low speed (60 km)and comes back at high speed(100 k and over ) almost like a balancing issue. During the changing of the cv the shaft rolled of the bench is it likely that maybe it got bent when hitting the floor? Any other suggestions...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Awhile ago I replaced the rear CV onto the front prop shaft from transfer to diff. I have a vibration that seems to only be there at low speed (60 km)and comes back at high speed(100 k and over ) almost like a balancing issue. During the changing of the cv the shaft rolled of the bench is it likely that maybe it got bent when hitting the floor? Any other suggestions...

They are pretty strong, doubt it bent it just rolling off the bench.
I would check to make sure it is seated all the way down in all around and bolts tightened correctly before doing anything else .

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
They are pretty strong, doubt it bent it just rolling off the bench.
I would check to make sure it is seated all the way down in all around and bolts tightened correctly before doing anything else .

x2

I remember about a year ago I was doing an oil change and a few of the bolts on it were in by a few threads, hadn't been touched for years.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah check out rear u joints like dude said and also make sure its seated fully like tom said. when i reinstalled mine it never wants to seat correctly and i have to give it some love taps

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it the front shaft youre questioning?

if so, do you have the vib in 2wd or 4wd?

Does the front shaft turn in 2wd mode? no right?

can you test it without the front shaft?

IMO you need to balance your tires first.

Last edited:

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vibe is there in both 2wd and 4wd. Uni's seem ok I have a new one there if it needs it , it was done about 30k km ago. Wheels could be outta balance.I have had the shaft out and actually switched cv out for the old one as I thought maybe the new one faulty. All bolts are tight and seems to be seated tight.

robert[

Reaction score
replaced my front prop shaft now the jeep shakes at 35 mph

Replaced the front prop shaft due to old age worn out. Put the new one in went to test drive it down the road and around 35 mph it shakes and stays shaking up to 45 that's as fast as I went got into the dirt put it in 4 wheel didn't seem to shake. Its more like a vibration than shake. no check lights or anything. Also does the front prop have to be installed exactly like the old one my 2008 jeep liberty's front mount plate has 8 bolt holes it looks like I might of bolted it into the other 4

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I had a balance and tyre rotation done and an alignment no change. The vibe is still there only just noticeable at low speed bad at high speed and even worse in 4wd fulltime/part time. Uni's checked no slop and no stiffness. Is it possible maybe something in the front end??

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you torque the bolts when you install the prop shaft. I did not torque mine and it gave me a vibration.

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I crawled back under tday and checked that all bolts were still tight and no movement in so doing I noticed the transfer mount rubber is starting to seperate possibly the cause of the vibe. Question is does this cause the vibe or did the vibe cause the cracking. Either way gunna order a new one. Rock Auto list a few makes which is best DEA/MRC, Westar, anchor,Pioneer, omix

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could be the vibration caused the mount failure or its just age worn. how many miles on you jeep?

did you check the front wheel bearings & axle shafts/ CV's.

Last edited:

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeep has 127k miles on it so the the cracking is possible from age. There is just the smallest amount of movement in the left front wheel bearing maybe on its way out. CV's are good

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeep has 127k miles on it so the the cracking is possible from age. There is just the smallest amount of movement in the left front wheel bearing maybe on its way out. CV's are good

Shouldn't be any movement. You found the problem.