Professional Window tint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

morningbrew3

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you think tinting the front two side windows* and the top 6 inches of the windshield would look good? In Massachusetts the legal limit is 35% and the top 6 inches of the front windshield can be tinted. Is the tint visible on the front windshield from the inside? And is 35% dark enough to almost match the rear tint?

btw, I'm having a professional do the window tinting. (these guys are the people who tinted all the windows on the john hancock tower here in Boston!)

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never heard of someone tinting the rear view mirrors. Personally I wouldnt do it but I like to see whats behind me. Ive got mine adjusted to where headlights are not a problem.

My front windows are tinted ~15% and they match the rear windows. Ive got a 15% strip on the windshield but Im pretty sure its more than 6in.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
It will ALMOST match the rear window tint, which is at about 20%. It'll just be a tad bit lighter. I've got 35% in my front windows and it's a pretty good match.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since they are professional and all, just tell them to match rear windows, and they'll take care of it for you. :) Of course tint on the windshield is visible from inside.

You must be registered for see images

If they allow you to tint 6" of windshield, I don't think they would be able to tell difference between 35% and 20%.. I got matching windshield strip but it is still not dark enough for me. At first I felt like I was trapped inside the jeep and thought it would obstruct my view, but not so, after 2 days I was cursing for not getting darker tint on the windshield strip. It is illegal in NY to do ANY tint on windshield or the front windows.

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, the rear is 15%-20%.

In MI, it's illegal to tint any of the front windows, but I plan on getting mine 35%. It's lighter than I'd like, but it's enough to usually not get hassled. I had my previous car for 6 years and only was bothered twice.

First time I was in the sticks at night and the cop admitted he was bored and just wanted to see if I was drinking. The tint was just noticed because of that. He advised me to take it off.

Second time I actually got a "fix-it" ticket. Removed the tint and the fine was dropped.

morningbrew3

Reaction score
Since they are professional and all, just tell them to match rear windows, and they'll take care of it for you. :) Of course tint on the windshield is visible from inside.

You must be registered for see images

If they allow you to tint 6" of windshield, I don't think they would be able to tell difference between 35% and 20%.. I got matching windshield strip but it is still not dark enough for me. At first I felt like I was trapped inside the jeep and thought it would obstruct my view, but not so, after 2 days I was cursing for not getting darker tint on the windshield strip. It is illegal in NY to do ANY tint on windshield or the front windows.

hyedipin, I think I'll go with 35% just because I don't want to break any laws haha,
I was wondering if there was any chance you could post a picture of the inside looking out through your front windshield just to get an idea?
Thanks a lot for replying to my question! :)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At first I felt like I was trapped inside the jeep and thought it would obstruct my view, but not so, after 2 days I was cursing for not getting darker tint on the windshield strip. It is illegal in NY to do ANY tint on windshield or the front windows.

Love it when it rains and its dark out. Feels like Im in a little cozy cocoon. :D

Gosh, Ive got a pic around here somewhere looking out. hyedipin, I sent it to you along time go, find it! haha

Edit:

Kinda a bad pic:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
hahaha, jeepjeepster, I know! He is asking exact same thing I asked you before I got mine tinted. :) This shows we're all alike. At least some of us... cacoon.. Yep! I love it in rainy weather as well, I know what you mean.

I had a video somewhere around here..
Last 10 seconds, you can see the strip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDRuz3Lu1WM

2006 KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe a picture will help you out some.. i have 35% on the front side windows, nothing on the windshield except a tint strip on top, and factory on back.

a lot of it depends on the light.. if it's cloudy it'll reflect a lot and seem darker

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blake, did yours fade a little, or is there a color difference between the bottom part and the top part of your window tint? I assume my reflectors blocked the sun on the top portion and you can see the difference when rolling down the window and carefully looking at a white background, you can see the fade (darker) right at the top 1" or so..

morningbrew3

Reaction score
2006 KJ, That looks so nice, Now is your tint charcoal or somthing? And does it have any metalic stuff? Could I could just ask the proffesional guy who does it to match the stock tint?

2006 KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2006 KJ, That looks so nice, Now is your tint charcoal or somthing? And does it have any metalic stuff? Could I could just ask the proffesional guy who does it to match the stock tint?

mine is black 35% llamar (or something like that) tint. it wont ever fade.. if it does it's free replacement. no matalic or charcoal just black :)... you could ask a profffesional guy to match stock.. but he will most likely give you darker than mine .. i would've done that but tint is completely illegal in PA so i figured i'd stay on the lighter side so it wasnt that tempting for cops

morningbrew3

Reaction score
Okay thanks a lot for reply!!! :)

I just get paranoid that the tint would some how turn out purple and metallicy haha but that shouldn't happen....

I'll just ask the guy to match the tint as best her can legally and to do the front windshield.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just get paranoid that the tint would some how turn out purple and metallicy haha but that shouldn't happen....

That only happens if you are driving a Lexus. (blarg) Or other way around.. Anyway, it won't be metallic unless you ask for it. Again (blarg)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blake, did yours fade a little, or is there a color difference between the bottom part and the top part of your window tint? I assume my reflectors blocked the sun on the top portion and you can see the difference when rolling down the window and carefully looking at a white background, you can see the fade (darker) right at the top 1" or so..

Hmm, Ive never noticed any fading but Ill check it out today when I leave school.

Mine is also llamar. :)

morningbrew3

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I got the jeep tinted a week ago and it turned out alright, it's a little light but it's as dark as I can go legally. It's 35% and I told him to try and match the back. It came out pretty good. It cost me $120. Ill post some outdoor photos soon...

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, if your state laws are anything like mine, you may want to ask for Guaranteed Legal (40%) instead of 35%. 35% sometimes will not pass inspection. Some vehicles come with factory 97% so when you add the 35%, it is to close to pass inspection. I don't know how the KJs are, but I did my wife's Audi legal since it was all the windows and didn't even want to have to take it off for a stupid fix-it-ticket or for my wife to be hassled by a LEO and I wanted to be sure she would always pass inspection. It turned out great. It has factory 97% on it, so I didn't want to take the chance.

The Llumar tint they used on my Jeep was 15% and it matches the rears perfectly. He said they didn't make 20% in the tint he used, only 15%, so I went with that and couldn't be happier. It has a lifetime warranty. Guaranteed to never fade.

Her whole car was only $140 and my fronts were only $40. He did a perfect job. $120 is pretty high for two windows.

Her tint...

Mine...

My windshield is the factory tint strip, which I assume is also 15-20%.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online