Problem w/ hitch install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gordo

Reaction score
I just purchased a Draw-Tite #75128 receiver hitch for my 2003 KJ.

I went to install it and found that the mounting holes seem to be misaligned. The bracket seems to have been constructed about 1/2 in too narrow. Has anybody else expirienced anything like this? Is this standard? A manufacturer flaw?

Also, is there an easy way to move the tailpipe enough to get the front most bolt in? The hole in the frame is directly above the tail pipe and it is not possible to get a torque wrench up in there. Any ideas?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me with that same hitch. It will go on there but its hard to do. It would be best if you had someone to help you. I bolted one side on,(The bolts go in very slow, and very hard) Then i took the tire on the other side off and pulled the hitch over till the holes lined up. I someway way managed to get the bolts in but it would be alot easier if someone else was there.

Jinxman

Reaction score
Trailer Hitch

I also had problems with my hitch install...

I had a Curt Class 3 hitch and the first problem I encountered was the gas tank skid plate getting in the way by not allowing me to set the hitch all the way back. I had to bend the rear lip in on the skid plate to get the hitch to line up with the mounting holes.

I then had trouble with the exaust pipe as well...I could not get it to not crossthread the bolts. In the end and after some very tired arms and the suspicion of stripped threads on the jeep, I took it to the stealership and they used an impact wrench to tighten the bolts down....

Price, $40... But they were able to fix it.

Gordo

Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Same thing happened to me with that same hitch. It will go on there but its hard to do. It would be best if you had someone to help you. I bolted one side on,(The bolts go in very slow, and very hard) Then i took the tire on the other side off and pulled the hitch over till the holes lined up. I someway way managed to get the bolts in but it would be alot easier if someone else was there.

What did you do to pull the hitch over? I did the same thing that you did in putting the three bots in on the driver's side. Some how I was able to move it over enough to get the center bolt in on the passenger side, but now the other two or both about 1/4" or so off. I tried using a wratchet tie-down but I could not budge it far enough. Now I am driving around town with my hitch with just the 4 bolts in it. I feel fine with it driving, but wouldn't tow anything yet.

Also, still looking for suggestions as far as the exaust goes. it is right in the way of the front bolt on the passenger side. There is now way for an impact wrench to even get in there without moving it around somehow.

Thanks for the help!

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I installed my U-Haul hitch I also had problems getting around the exhaust. I recall that I got the bolts as tight as possible with a box-end wrench and then I was able to get a torque wrench in with a short socket. I have towed trailers twice and checked the torque after each tow with no problems. Good luck getting it finished.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I installed my Mopar hitch, I tightened the bolts best I could, then went by a friends body shop for him to torque with a impact wrench, he got to the front passenger side bolt with an extension and a swivel

Bob

P4M

Reaction score
Hitches

This is very common on a lot of vehicles, not just Jeeps. Just had a Rodeo in and the hitch was off a little from the mounting holes. These hitches twist and move from weather and handling.

1. Make sure you have an extra hand. These installs always go so much easier with two people. Plus it's someone to have a beer with.

2. Have a LARGE universal wrench handy. just adjust the jaws to where you need to pull/bend, grab the end of the wrench and pull. Makes things a little easier.

3. Like everyone else said, impact wrenches make things much quicker. Just because not to cross-thread anything.

Latest posts

Members online