Probably having rear suspension issues..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When falling into even small potholes, I can feel the rear axle shaking and trying to... take another route :eek:
It has become more noticeable over time. I guess it might be caused by worn lower control arms. Hope upper
control 'boomerang' has nothing to do... Shocks are 15k old but coils are still OE.
Any idea? IIRC many prefer to purchase the whole control arm and not replace bushings, if that's the case :shrug:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Remove the lower control arms. Inspect the bushings for cracks especially along the axle side bushing where the cut away is. Fill in the slots/cut a ways with windshield polyurethane and let dry for a day or two...re- install.
The ball joint & bushings on the upper tri-link could be toast as well.
You could also have a broken shock, inspect and check it all over good.
If at highway speed you take off gas and the jeep jumps right or left that is lower control arms moving. Clunks can come from numerous areas, like hitting bump stop (bagged springs) look for tire rub on inside fender well etc.
Upper tri-link is harder to inspect most use a pry bar and see how much movement they can get on ball joint.

JeepKj03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced my link bar bushing a few months ago after the back end kept coming out under acceleration and deceleration. Boy did that make a difference. She drives straight as an arrow now.

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank You guys.
As far as I can tell, when accellerating or decel. vehicle maintains it's course, so, hopefully, that might rule lower arms out.
Upper arm's ball joint boot looks ok, rubber still good and no grease on the outside... hope there's still some inside :happy175:.
While purposedly performing abrupt manouvers I could feel that the tail 'complains', thus making me suspect its just a
suspension issue. 50k on the clock and still OE coils... This time I'll go for OME ( anyone a clue for direct stock repl. number ?).
Should have followed Tom's advice back in 2009, aftermarket ( local OE supplier but probably not same quality...) front coils
sagged again after 15k :disgust: so I guess I'll see if I can find the whole OME set locally .... mucho $$$ :(
Hope defective coils didn't scr.. front shocks, but I fear the worse...

Latest posts

Members online