"pre-lowered" suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Around early 2002, some auto reviewers rolled a Liberty. To avoid slow sales and avoid lawsuits, Jeep lowered the Liberty by about 3/4 - 1". MOST Libertys are "lowered"... vast majority of them. ALL 2003+ Libertys are lowered. MOST 2002s are pre-lowered. Pre lowered Libertys can USUALLY be identified by their 4x4 badges. If the 4x4 badges are on the side, it's probably pre-lowered. If it's on the back tailgate, it's probably lowered. Those two changes were made in the same week or so.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cutoff date was like april 12th 2002,any KJ made before then sat 3/4" higher than all KJ's made after that date.If you lift your "lowered" KJ with a coil lift it will be the same height as a "pre-lowered" KJ with the same lift,a spacer lift will net the "pre-lowered" KJ more lift.But since all the pre-;owered KJ's are older '02's there springs are sagging anyways by now.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The cutoff date was like april 12th 2002,any KJ made before then sat 3/4" higher than all KJ's made after that date.If you lift your "lowered" KJ with a coil lift it will be the same height as a "pre-lowered" KJ with the same lift,a spacer lift will net the "pre-lowered" KJ more lift.But since all the pre-;owered KJ's are older '02's there springs are sagging anyways by now.

You'd be surprised. I can still tell a quite noticeable height difference on many '02s without even comparing the two.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

So, it sounds like you could get a set of "pre-lowered" 02 KJ springs and swap them without doing anything elce and get the original KJ height back.

Dave

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if someone ordered a set of new springs for their pre-lowered KJ, would they receive the same ones or be forced to use the newer ones?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I knew about that, but now if I buy a lift kit which gives me 2,5" lift I can then expect 1 3/4"?? :confused:
If your KJ was built before april 12th 2002 then yes you will only see about 1.75" lift,a lowered KJ(built after april 12th 2002) will be the same hieght with the same lift,EXECPT if using a spacer lift,then the "pre-lowered" KJ will have a total of 3.25"(really only 2.5" but starting out .75" higher) lift with the lowered KJ only getting 2.5" lift.

tan's2002kjlimited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I've got a "pre-lowered" KJ. Assuming the springs haven't sagged in their 63K or so miles,
I've got 3/4 of an inch extra heighth. I understand that 245/70/16 will fit under a "lowered" with no rub,
what's the biggest tire with no rub I can consider? I'm thinking 255/70/16.