Power Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loki007420

Reaction score
OK so i have a 2004 Jeep Liberty Limited, it has 116000 miles or so on it. Yesterday when i came out of work at 5pm (live in detroit was real cold yesterday but not as cold as it was the beginning on the year). I started my jeep with no issues and warmed her up for about 5 mins. When i went to pull out of my parking spot i had lost all power steeri ng. I thought that was real weird and for some reason just figured the fluid froze up on me.. So i drove home (about 35miles) and never got my power steering back. Once home i poped the hood to take a look (not really sure what i was looking for lol) i checked the bladder that holds the power steering fluid and it appeared to be empty.. I ran up to autozone and bought a thing of steering fluid with leek seal. I put it in my jeep now at this time it was pretty dark and cold as i was in my driveway trying to fill it up.. I couldnt really tell how much went in it cause of the dark and my flashlight didnt really help looking at the fill lines.. I put the cap on and drove it around for a few mins.. It seemed to be a lil better so i figured i would check it out in the morning with more light..

Fast forward to morning and i noticed what looked like a puddle under my jeep right where the power steering fluid would go in. Now the weird part was the fluid on the ground was frozen.. I did research enough last night to know it shouldn't freeze. So i drove into work this morning with barely any power steering at all.. Now im at a loss for what to do, i cant really afford to take it to a shop right now so im hoping for some help..

Now im not the most mechanical person but i can follow directions and im not afraid to get my hands dirty.. Im really a computer nerd and can fix anything with a board, but that doesn't help me with this lol..

Any ideas? Things to check and how to check them? Sorry for rambling just trying to give you guy as much info as i can..

Never noticed any problems, or noises before it just stopped.. Now the first week in jan when it was real cold i did lose my windshield wiper solution, have a crack somewhere in that but im not as worried about that as i am this.. Cause well my arms are sore, its REAL hard to turn the wheels

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should probably check that power steering fluid level before anything. Check it when you can see things good, or get a better flash light.

One thing that pops into my head is a bad power steering hose. Could be either the high pressure hose or the return hose. either or isn't really an expensive repair. Can be tricky for someone that hasn't turned a wrench before.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just as a reference for the next time you refill, these babies use ATF+4 in the power steering reservoir.

My bet is on a hose as well. Problem is finding which one. I would check the two lines that lead from the bottom of the reservoir and make sure that 1) they're there. and 2) they're not gushing fluid. If it's leaking that much, then it should be easy to spot some liquid in the engine bay.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fill the reservoir again, start the engine, have a buddy work the steering wheel left & right, and watch from under the vehicle to see from where the fluid is flowing. Anything past that, we can't help in detail without being there.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Where exactly are you?

This sounds EXACTLY like what happened when my steering rack busted on me.

I'm in Detroit too, which I call "Ugh, MI".

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There should be two "rubber" hoses coming from the rack and pinion.

Check both of them for leaks once you refill the PS resivoir. If the leak is at the fitting you can cut off the crimp and use 2 hose clamps.

If its the hose don't bother bandaids as it will only develop a new leak. Get another piece of hydraulic hose and patch it to the fittings with hose clamps.

Also use atf 4+ not powersteering fluid.