power steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjcapp

Reaction score
Question please?

Which fluid is 100% definitely used in the KJ power steering system? Power steering fluid or ATF+4?

I have an 03 KJ. Just bought it for my daughter. I Performed entire maintenance on everything. Just in case it needed it I removed 16 oz of the power steering fluid and added 16 oz of one of the no leak power steering fluid treatments that is supposed to stop leaks & restore seals thinking power steering take power steering fluid.

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/no_leak/default.aspx

Then I read in an older post that the power steering fluid is actually ATF+4. WTF? Did I screw the power steering up or what?

Thanks in advance.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
ATF-4 is correct,don't know if other wil hurt anything,probably be best to flush and fill with ATF+4.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'02-'03 KJ's requires power steering fluid,'04+ use ATF+4.You must completely drain your entire P/S system to switch fluid types,which is a royal pain since the rack&pinion hold alot by itself.

rjcapp

Reaction score
Thanks. I do appreciate you all baby sitting me. lol

I have an 03. Maybe I did not mess up so bad. The manufacturer for the PS fluid treatment claims its safe if to mix w/ PS systems that requires atf.

At this point I think Im better off just leaving it alone.

Last edited:

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, I used some left over +3, as I have a leak, as usual... I also put in some Lucas PS fluid stuff, the leak is SMALL, the high pressure line where it goes into the rack. This is a common issue from what I read...

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 03' had ATF+4 in it when i got it, so i emptied out the reservoir with a syringe and refilled with fresh ATF+4, then ran it for a while and did it again, its looking pretty clean now, no noise, no leaks. I will just leave it as is now!

From what i can tell reading on here and other forums if you brought an 02-03' model year into a dealer for work on the PS your going to end up with ATF+4 when they are done, seems all the dealers have a TSB on using the trans fluid instead now.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I do appreciate you all baby sitting me. lol

I have an 03. Maybe I did not mess up so bad. The manufacturer for the PS fluid treatment claims its safe if to mix w/ PS systems that requires atf.

At this point I think Im better off just leaving it alone.

There are some aftermarket fluids acceptable to Chrysler, check the container and see if there is anything on there regarding that. If you don't find that acceptance on the container as being approved as a substitute, I think you are taking a chance. Because they are quite adamant about using only ATF+4 in the power steering resevoir tank.

Latest posts

Members online