Power Steering Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJSKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, Merry Christmas to all the Jeepers out there! Have some holiday cheer:party52: OK, my power steering is starting to whine, but only when it is cold out (04 with 78k miles on it). Is the power steering pump on its way out?

DJ

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The power Steering units like to complain when it's cold out. AS long as you are not leaking and maintain fluid level you are ok. If you want to quiet it down like immediately...and not have that stiff steering for ever....
Suction out the power steering reservoir.
42556[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Then refill reservoir with synthetic 32 oz universal LubeGard power steering fluid. Pump sequel be gone.
42558[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• VeterinarianOilSyringe.jpg
    VeterinarianOilSyringe.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 0
  • LubeGardPS32oz.jpg
    LubeGardPS32oz.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 0

DJSKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I flushed it about 6 months ago, however I put PS fluid in not ATF+4. It is not leaking. Should I flush it again and put in ATF+4?

DJ

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Change the return line.

The cause of a whine in the PS system is air getting to the pump.You can have a leak and not actually leak any fluid in the PS system.Sometimes tiny pinholes get in the return line and since it's normally under a vacuum when the engine is running it will not leak and the holes are to small for fluid to leak out but big enough to leak air into the system causing a whine.

Could also just be the fluid used.

apukareem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had mine replaced a few weeks ago. The whine got to the point it wouldn't stop anymore and could hear it on the highway going over 70mph. It also got to the point where I was having issues turning the wheel at times. Didn't have any leaks on mine prior to it, only the whine.

Afterwards, still whines a little, and on cold days