Power Steering Pump Failed after line replacement!?? TJKJ!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jacob789456

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I want to apologize for all the problems I have posted questions for lately. I have time to work on the Jeep now, so all the projects have begun before summer wheelin'! Today I replaced the high pressure power steering line. When doing so, when I went to remove the brass compression fitting from the pump itself, I accidentally unscrewed a fitting that released a spring and a piston. The parts that came out were, 1) the piston, 2)the spring, and 3) the fitting that threads into the pump (7/8" hex) which is also where the high pressure line threads into. I replaced these three pieces and now, after replacing the line and bleeding the system, I have no power steering. I don't think I lost any pieces, however, I am not 100% sure if I have all of them because it all popped out when I accidentally removed it. I replaced the pieces in this order, piston into pump head first, spring between piston bottom and the threaded fitting, and then the threaded fitting into the pump and torqued it down tight. I lubricated it all with ATF +4 before re-installation. Is there something I'm missing here, do I just need to get a new pump, or can I fix this?

Jacob789456

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I installed the piston the wrong direction and re-did the job this morning. I have steering now, but now the pump groans really loud. I bled the system, but it is still groaning very loud. Anything I should do/check? It is full of new ATF+4