Power Steering Pressure Line Leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I had my Jeep into the dealership for a bunch of regular maintenance and the guy in the shop said my power steering pressure line was leaking a little. If it has started leaking it must be very recently because I just swapped out old fluid for new maybe 2 weeks ago. And at that time my fluid level was not low and I've had the Jeep plenty long enough to know if any leaking fluids have been replaced. Anyway, assuming he's right and it is leaking... how long can it limp like that? I have a quote for $340 to get it replaced, $140 just for the part and 1.5 hours labor. But I'm certain I can do it myself. Anyone have experience with aftermarket parts here? I know we usually stick to Mopar, but it's a hose...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My high pressure ps hose is also leaking. Its been seeping for well over a year and my fluid level hasn't dropped any.

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a great write up on this site to replace that hose without having to tear the front of the Jeep off. Rock Auto lists the high pressure hose for about $46 although only 1 in stock when I checked.

Joe84

Reaction score
Funny how the High Pressure lines begin to leak once you take them in for a recall, wife took hers in 2 weeks ago for the air bag recall, dealer told her she needed to replace a sensor switch 250 bucks, then this past week the high pressure line started leaking at the top by the pump and also at the bottom connection to the rack. sprayed off both areas with de-greaser and wouldn't you notice there were some scratch marks on the nuts both tight but both leaking from the connection to the hose.

Question for those on the site, would over tightening the cause the the connection between the hose and the tube open and leak?

I've read the posts from all regarding the problems with the high pressure lines and the return lines. checked the rack don't see any additional fluid around it just from the pump and the connection to the rack.

Picked up all of the hoses from Rock Auto less than 100 bucks with shipping, but still way more money spending than prior to recall.

Moving forward I'll avoid the dealer ship at all cost.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
If the leak is at hose end where it goes into pump or rack,I would replace "O" ring first. NAPA has the right size,can not recall it off the top of my head.

AVR2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with aftermarket parts here? I know we usually stick to Mopar, but it's a hose...
When my high-pressure PS line began leaking I replaced it with an Edelmann hose - about $38 from RockAuto. Still just fine 3 years later. For all I know, the OEM hoses are just the Edelmann ones in a Mopar box.