Power steering high pressure hose rounding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjdreamin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My power steering pump feel to pieces on the way home from work today.
The shaft completely fell out taking the pulley with it.
Thus I had no belt to drive any accessories.

I shut it down, realized I could make it to Autozone half mile up the road, so I called them first to make sure they had all parts needed in stock, they did, so I made the drive.

Quickly got stuff broken down to do the install but the high pressure line wouldn't come out.
It was like it was seized in there but it wasn't rusted (obv because it is brass).
Long story short I wasn't using a line/flare wrench (crows foot) so the size point heads got rounded

Byt he time I realized I should be using a flared wrench it was too late
So two hours later I figured I could button things up putting the new pump/pulley on and make it home (35.5 miles) with no power steering

I made it

But now I have to deal with a rounding (not completely stripped but it *****) high pressure hose

Oh, the bad part is that the hose wouldn't come out of the pump but instead it pulled a piece of the pump out with it
That piece the hose screws into is actually screwed into the pump itself.
The whole assembly came out of the pump
Now I can't get that piece of assembly off the hose in order to put the high pressure hose inside the new pump

Does that make sense?
I'll grab pics in the morning.

Anyone with ideas on how to fix this?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probably pull the whole pump assembly out and put it on a bench vise to get the rounded fittings loose.
idk.....

kjdreamin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry still no pics.
But I took my Jeep to my mechanic (he only works on my wife's car so I can have someone to blame if things go wrong) and ask him to look at it
He tried the same thing with two wrenches
No dice
He then said he'd have to charge me $30 to put some heat on it
For a split second I was going to balk, go home and soak it in PB Blaster but decided to go ahead and get it done right there on the spot
So I agreed and he dragged the Oxy tanks out
Put 3-4 seconds of heat on it and instantly the thing came undone

O-ring was toast so we put another one on

Installed the high pressure and return hoses on the pump, filled it up and I'm back in business

From the looks of it I saved $300 by doing this myself ($100 vs $400 in a shop)

Now I need to tackle my suspension/lift because I'm always bottoming out when I go over speed bumps or dips in the road at 30MPH