Power steering fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATF+4 full synthetic,ATF+3 is not and is no longer used by Chrysler.

Your PS system is very different then a trans.If you read up on why you shouldn't use ATF in a PS system(google is your friend) you wouldn't want to run ATF in the PS system also.I don't,I use synthetic PS fluid,specifically made for PS systems.

tjkj......Ok This was getting a little confusing because we are talking about different MY KJ's which take different fluids per the owners manuals. For instance my 05 came with ATF+4 and I have no noises or issues so when I get around to changing it I will continue to use the ATF+4. It is a quality synthetic anyway as you said.

So those with other MY that their owners manual says something different, (02-04 MY) they should continue to use what their owners manual calls for, or if they do a flush, then they can use the ATF+4???? Is this correct??

Also, what are you useing out of curiosity?

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tjkj......Ok This was getting a little confusing because we are talking about different MY KJ's which take different fluids per the owners manuals. For instance my 05 came with ATF+4 and I have no noises or issues so when I get around to changing it I will continue to use the ATF+4. It is a quality synthetic anyway as you said.

So those with other MY that their owners manual says something different, (02-04 MY) they should continue to use what their owners manual calls for, or if they do a flush, then they can use the ATF+4???? Is this correct??

Also, what are you useing out of curiosity?

Dave
If your KJ came with ATF+4 in the PS system you can keep using it,if it did not come with ATF+4 you can still use ATF+4 and it will not void any warranty you may or may not have.

It's a personal choice of mine that I use PS fluid make for PS systems due to ATF is not ment for PS systems.I use Valvoline MaxLife PS fluid,keeps those seals and hoses in good condition.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is another take on this confusing fluid issue:

What if Chrysler decided to test the compatibility of the ATF+4 in the power steering systems during 2002 and then released the 2003+ owners manual with the note that ATF+4 would be a suitable replacement.

The justification for this.... COST SAVINGS during production. Eliminating the Mopar Power Steering fluid from the assembly line and replacing it with the ATF+4 would result in savings by commonizing fluids.

Just a guess...