Power steering fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fishyx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gonna change the PS fluid on the old 2002 hunt camp Lib this weekend. The 02 calls for regular PS fluid. Any brand should get the job done???? Game plan is to turkey baste it until it's clear again.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regular old PS fluid will do. Just check it first and make sure no one has done a complete flush and converted to that red ATF+4. Pretty sure the PO mixed PS fluid and ATF+4 in my 02. This mixing is not a good thing. Has to be all of one or the other.

fishyx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's so dirty it looks like the previous owner filled it with used motor oil!!!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The early 2002 KJs came out with clear Power Steering Fluid which turns light brown with age.....later models came out with read ATF+4. They are not supposed to be mixed.

Jeep issued a bulletin stating that old systems should be completely flushed and replaced with ATF+4.

I recently "replaced" my original clear fluid with the same fluid..Mopar Power Steering fluid..by using a large syringe to empty the fluid out of the reservoir ie. turkey baste method, topped up with Mopar power Steering Fluid and repeated every few days until the fluid was almost clear.

I used this method as it seemed that completely flushing the old fluid out and replacing ATF+4 was going to be a major job!

rsscoggins

Reaction score
The early 2002 KJs came out with clear Power Steering Fluid which turns light brown with age.....later models came out with read ATF+4. They are not supposed to be mixed.

Jeep issued a bulletin stating that old systems should be completely flushed and replaced with ATF+4.

I recently "replaced" my original clear fluid with the same fluid..Mopar Power Steering fluid..by using a large syringe to empty the fluid out of the reservoir ie. turkey baste method, topped up with Mopar power Steering Fluid and repeated every few days until the fluid was almost clear.

I used this method as it seemed that completely flushing the old fluid out and replacing ATF+4 was going to be a major job!

I have to replace the high pressure line on my teenage son's KJ. It is a 2002 and has Power Steering fluid in it. With only 75K miles, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the original factory fill!

Does anyone know the correct way to "flush the system" before converting to ATF. Is there any advantage to converting to ATF or should I just stick with the PS fluid.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
To get a proper flush, I think you'd have to have the return line off and have sometime keep pouring the ATF+4 in till you get a good clean uniform color.

Not sure of the advantages. I'd just put in PS fluid.