Post-Cat Oxygen Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jumpo64

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I'll make this quick and painless. Next weekend I'm planning on changing the post-cat O2 sensor in my girlfriend's 2005 Liberty Renegade with the 3.7 ...I attempted to do it today but ran out of daylight.

I have the sensor (bank 1, sensor 2), as well as an oxygen sensor socket, etc.

I'm not too familiar with the jeep, so here's my question:

Right behind the cats, and running from one side of the frame to the other is a metal cross-member (some sort of brace maybe) that is held in by 3 bolts on each side. This makes it impossible for me to turn a socket, or even a wrench under there. Is there any harm in taking this brace off so I can have easier access to the O2 sensor?

I tried to find a picture to show what I'm talking about, but couldn't find anything via google. So at any rate, It's just a 5 inch wide metal piece (cross-member, brace, whatever) that runs from the driver to passenger side, right behind the cats. The oxygen sensor wires and plugs actually attach to the top side of this piece.

I would imagine someone knows what I'm talking about. Hopefully!

Thanks guys.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Cross member, holds up basically everything back there, so if you want to remove it then you'll need a way to support the transfer case and ******.
I've never had a problem swapping them out and never remove the cross member. The wires are just clipped on there easy to remove

jumpo64

Reaction score
When I put the O2 socket on, I was left with no room to actually turn the socket wrench. If taking off the cross member isn't an option then I guess I will have to buy a flex head wrench. Not to mention the thing is nice and rusted. I'll soak it in PB Blaster, let the exhaust warm up a bit, and then try again with the different wrench.

Thanks for the help! She always makes me drive her Jeep and the check engine light annoys me. So I pulled out my code reader and decided I would take care of it. Thanks again.

ryanee182

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just used an open-end wrench when I changed mine, and had plenty of room. No need for a fancy O2 socket.

jumpo64

Reaction score
I just used an open-end wrench when I changed mine, and had plenty of room. No need for a fancy O2 socket.

I already had the O2 socket. I'm a big gear head, just never turned a wrench on a jeep before.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Jeeps are no different
all the same -----almost:disgust:
lefty-loosey
righty-tighty

I also just use a regular old open end wrench after soaking and no problems, have taken some out that looked like they had welds on them from so much rust:happy175:

ryanee182

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the post cat sensor is bank 2 sensor 2. Bank one would be before the cat.

This thread is over a year old. And....

Bank 1 = Passenger side (US models)
Bank 2 = Drivers side (Us models)

Sensor 1 = Upstream before the cat
Sensor 2 = Downstream after the cat

So...bank 1 sensor 2 = passenger side after the cat.