Poor fuel mileage after NV3550 Rebuild.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, Have been kind of curious about something and thought I might as well ask around, I have a 2003 Renegade with the 3.7L and NV3550 5 speed manual, Jeep has 270,000kms and my transmission/clutch decided to wear out on my (I tell my wife I have no idea why!) So I had a very reputable drive train shop completely rebuild the transmission and replace the clutch about 2-3000kms ago, Drives incredible but I can help notice that my fuel economy has dropped from 15.2 to 13.8 as per my EVIC, I would average 400-425kms to a tank and now get 350kms, My mileage and driving style has not changed but the economy, Is this something I can expect to go away over time as the transmission breaks in?

I don't expect amazing fuel economy in a 4WD but the way gas prices are going I wouldn't mind saving some cash at the pumps!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
It may be because things are new and a little tight....
I have to ask though how often do u change the spark plugs and what type are u using?
A clean air filter/pcv valve/ clean throttle body/IAC-/fuel filter etc can help.
Using Chevron Techron Concentrate to the fuel can also improve mileage/ clean injectors.
edit note: Would sure like to know if you can get the concentrate in Calgary..
It seems to have disappeared form Canadian Market due to label requirements. US only availability now I believe.
Run some Chevron 94 in it and see if the mileage goes up...No ethanol in 94 and has Techron in fuel too.
Besides Techron Concentrate, I am not sure what injector cleaner to recommend. Many use seafoam. I prefer something milder.
I may just get the dealer to do an emission service with their pro chemicals to clean injectors. That is something worth while once every couple of years.

oh & if you have been running ethanol fuels, since it likes to absorb moisture..and water sits at bottom of tank..get a couple of bottle of water remover & put that in fuel!

Last edited:

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may be because things are new and a little tight....
I have to ask though how often do u change the spark plugs and what type are u using?
A clean air filter/pcv valve/ clean throttle body/IAC-/fuel filter etc can help.
Using Chevron Techron Concentrate to the fuel can also improve mileage/ clean injectors.
edit note: Would sure like to know if you can get the concentrate in Calgary..
It seems to have disappeared form Canadian Market due to label requirements. US only availability now I believe.
Run some Chevron 94 in it and see if the mileage goes up...No ethanol in 94 and has Techron in fuel too.
Besides Techron Concentrate, I am not sure what injector cleaner to recommend. Many use seafoam. I prefer something milder.
I may just get the dealer to do an emission service with their pro chemicals to clean injectors. That is something worth while once every couple of years.

oh & if you have been running ethanol fuels, since it likes to absorb moisture..and water sits at bottom of tank..get a couple of bottle of water remover & put that in fuel!

I am hoping its just due to the transmission, Approx 10,000kms Ago I replaced spark plugs with Champion Copper, Replaced all coil packs, New K&N Air filter, PCV Valve, Cleaned intake and I usually put in a Lucas Injector Cleaner in the tank ever 2-3 fill's and always up to date with oil changes, I will have to get to the fuel filter right away to make sure its not that, I will just give it some more time to break in the transmission, I am heading out camping today so can put some more mileage on her, Thanks for the feedback man!

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other things that can affect mpgs are a/c on maybe a bad brake caliper a hung park brake low tire pressure things like that so you might want to give it the once over and do a complete check over. How does it costs.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O2 sensor could've been knocked when they were in there doing the trans?
If it was immediately different when you drove it away from the garage. If you have a scanner you can check to see if they are working right. That's a big drop.