Poison Spyder rock ring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

azmotoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beefy piece of work. Should do everything I need for final drive/differential protection. My main point here is the instructions:

Most sites that have reviewed the Poison Spyder rock ring have the same to say. It works, it looks good and was easy to install. They are right. Just don't do what I did - I rolled the dice. The instructions warn against doing what I did.

I first installed it without doing a complete removal of the diff cover and sealing it again. One drip per day isn't excessive, but it WILL make a mess. I have seen Jeeps that "seep" oil and leave wet stains, but most of them, don't DRIP fluids.

Don't take the chance! Follow the instructions. Get a couple of quarts of fresh fluid, some red RTV, a drip pan, scraper, rags and something to catch the old fluid and recycle it. It won't take long and you won't have to explain why your Libby likes to "mark it's spot" when it is parked.

If you hustle, it can be done in an hour or less. If you drink beer, two hours.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. You would think that the nasty red RTV would hold it's seal. So if you install one it's just an excuse to change the fluid, look it over, and clean it out if there's any metal filings in there.

Dave

azmotoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's about it, Dave. Can't say how well it works, but the reviews I read prior to purchasing it (internet research) suggested it would take-a-lickin'. I'm happy with the look of it. It is a low profile design. It isn't overkill or overweight.

When I finish the sliders, I'll post a little snippet on those,too.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's about it, Dave. Can't say how well it works, but the reviews I read prior to purchasing it (internet research) suggested it would take-a-lickin'. I'm happy with the look of it. It is a low profile design. It isn't overkill or overweight.

When I finish the sliders, I'll post a little snippet on those,too.

I was thinking of a Poison Spyder rock ring and sliders too. Now you got me thinking again...........you're a bad influence....hehehe :D

Dave

azmotoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I've heard that somewhere before. I bought the material for the sliders locally and plan to build my own. I like some of the features from the guys in Utah and some of the features found on the ones in California. My plan is to incorporate a bit of BOTH into mine and get what I REALLY want. We'll see how they turn out...

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
azmotoman......just got the poison spyder rock ring....hehe....new in the box from someone that bought it and didn't install it. It is pretty hefty. It will be going on in the spring when I will change all the drivetrain fluids. Maby by then I will come across some rock rails too.:D

Dave