Please help, rubbing, front fender removal (inside)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fjellfinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was silly enough to fool my self into 265/70 - 15 on my Jeep 2003.

This rubs.

I have read about the pitch weld hammering, meybe I will try this, but this doesnt cause trouble now, the trouble is that when I turn fully, the tires rub heavily into the inside of the front fender :-((

How can fix this?

I have thougtht to remove the whole d... inside fender, I use only these BFGs from may to sept, in the dry, not winter season?

Or should I rather cut a big "flap" in it right behind the fogligths?

azmotoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove the air dam and you'll lose most of that rubbing. The awful noise you hear when it does rub is the front bumper fascia jumping around, as they are all attached.

I removed the dam, fabricated a couple of aluminum angles to fit into the forward wells and riveted them in place to hold it all together. Also, I made a set of steel stiffeners to fit under and behind the front fascia and attached them to the holes under the radiator support where the dam cam off.

Everything is nice and tight now. No flapping on the highway at speed and no rubbing.

Fjellfinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove the air dam and you'll lose most of that rubbing. The awful noise you hear when it does rub is the front bumper fascia jumping around, as they are all attached.

I removed the dam, fabricated a couple of aluminum angles to fit into the forward wells and riveted them in place to hold it all together. Also, I made a set of steel stiffeners to fit under and behind the front fascia and attached them to the holes under the radiator support where the dam cam off.

Everything is nice and tight now. No flapping on the highway at speed and no rubbing.

I have some trouble in understanding what parts you are describing.

I have found myself a solution, no more pitch weld hammering, no more rubbing, I ripped of the front fender liners - BOTH:

I am still a bit uncertains on how this works in real world driving.

a) should I protect the windscreen washer tank with something?
b) The Fender itself is kind of "loose", should I stiff it up with "something"

Now I only need to get me a new alternator pulley to get my KJ back on road again :)

Attachments

• frontcopy.jpg
    frontcopy.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 26

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alot of people have luck with using a heat gun to heat and push the plastic away to reduce the rubbing. You can also just cut a small section out of the fender wells..

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
who's that guy that cut the ends off his bumper all together? not sure where the post and pics are, but i think ill follow in his footsetps, if i ever get arround to finding where that post went, though maybe one day ill get those cool metal bumpers on rock lizard's site.....