Phantom Oil Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

polomaan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About 1 of 10 times I start my jeep, my oil light turns on and stays on. I immediately stop, and turn the engine off. Then I restart the engine and the oil light doesn't come on at all.

Bad sensor?

Important to have checked out?

There's plenty of oil, I have checked numerous times.

R

RoyalDudeness

A common failure area for the good- ole' jeep- da oil sending unit; plastic junk and they crack and leak some engine blood. I been a victim myself and was only a dealer item for me to buy around town 'cause no parts store had 'em.

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a good idea to not let it go for too long. My son's Plymouth had the oil gauge acting up for awhile. Last week, he called to say he was going to stop over to use the garage to replace a headlight. While I was changing the headlight, I had him check the oil because I had just changed the timing belt and a bunch of stuff the month before. There was no oil showing on the dip stick, which was strange since it doesn't burn much oil. It was still low after putting in 2-1/2 quarts. I had him start it, and noticed that oil was pouring out of the engine. It ended up being the sending unit. Thankfully they had one at AutoZone. At the rate it was coming out, it must have just let go shortly before he got here.

Sorry for the long story, but I would change out the oil pressure sender as soon as I suspect it is bad.

Bruce

R

RoyalDudeness

Dude bought his at the dealer for just over nineteen bucks with tax. Ordering one online was cheaper for the unit but after shipping the total would have been more. You can use a 27mm deep well socket that is open all the way back or the special socket for the sensors.

Last edited by a moderator:

polomaan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not too familiar with what the sender is, or how to replace it. Same thing with where the sensor is located. I did notice that there seems to be oil that has leaked just above where the oil filter is (when looking down into the engine from above).

Is the sender something that is pretty easy to replace?

Thanks for all of the great replies!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats where the sender is, its screwed into the engine above the oil filter. Pretty easy to replace, just disconnect and unscrew the old one, screw in the new one and reconnect.

If its leaking get it replaced ASAP... Don't need another thread about a blown motor from lack of oil.

polomaan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do tomorrow! ...I checked the oil though and I'm good. I haven't seen any drops in the garage either.

epp

Reaction score
My daughter called my wife this morning to tell us that the oil light came on this morning shortly before she got to school. She also said it came on yesterday but went back off again. My wife relayed the message to me while I was on the way to work. I turned around and headed to my daughters school to take a look. The oil level showed fine on the dip stick and the engine didn't make any strange noises when I started it. The light came on and then when off again when I started it. I drove the car around the parking lot to find a better place to park it so I could get better access. The oil light came on while I was moving it. Everything sounds fine and and no smoke or strange smells. I could see a little better under the hood and noticed some oil on the cross member just to the side of the oil filter. I crawled under and it does not appear to be the oil filter. I didn't have a light to look closer at the area around the oil sender (actually didn't know where it was until I read this thread) so not sure if that is where the leak is coming from. I'm concerned about blowing the engine. So should I just change the oil sender int he parking lot before I drive it again or would it be safe to drive it home first? Any way to know if the oil pump is bad?

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My daughter called my wife this morning to tell us that the oil light came on this morning shortly before she got to school. She also said it came on yesterday but went back off again. My wife relayed the message to me while I was on the way to work. I turned around and headed to my daughters school to take a look. The oil level showed fine on the dip stick and the engine didn't make any strange noises when I started it. The light came on and then when off again when I started it. I drove the car around the parking lot to find a better place to park it so I could get better access. The oil light came on while I was moving it. Everything sounds fine and and no smoke or strange smells. I could see a little better under the hood and noticed some oil on the cross member just to the side of the oil filter. I crawled under and it does not appear to be the oil filter. I didn't have a light to look closer at the area around the oil sender (actually didn't know where it was until I read this thread) so not sure if that is where the leak is coming from. I'm concerned about blowing the engine. So should I just change the oil sender int he parking lot before I drive it again or would it be safe to drive it home first? Any way to know if the oil pump is bad?

If its not too far maybe consider towing it home and then changing the sender, or have a shop tow and replace but thats going to get expensive obviously. Otherwise the only way to check it out is to remove the sender and screw in a pressure gauge to check the oil pressure.

Sounds exactly like others that had a sensor failure though. If you can change it in the parking lot then go for it, if the light still comes on after that tow it to a shop and find out whats wrong.

epp

Reaction score
Good advice. I think I will try changing in the parking lot as it is about 40 miles from her school to home. Are there any special tools needed? Is it easier to change from the top side or underneath the Jeep?

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good advice. I think I will try changing in the parking lot as it is about 40 miles from her school to home. Are there any special tools needed? Is it easier to change from the top side or underneath the Jeep?

You need a large deep well socket, came someone chime in on the size, i'm sure its metric. I will see if the size is shown in the FSM for it.

EDIT: 27MM is the size

You also will need to remove the oil filter for access as the socket won't go on it with the oil filter in place. So if she isn't close to time for an oil change you could remove the filter and make sure you don't get anything in it and then put it back on afterwards, otherwise oil and a filter and do a quick oil change as well. If you don't change a quart of oil to top things off to make up for any spillage also.

I would think topside would be easier leaning in, maybe a step stool or a good box to stand on, i have an old milk crate that i use to reach everything in the engine bay on the KJ.

RedKJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine top side. It was a little tight but it is doable. Plus when doing it from the top down the oil filter can stay on. At least it wasn't an issue in my case.

polomaan

Full Access Member
Reaction score

epp

Reaction score
I picked up my replacement at Advance Auto ($41.99) for my 2002 Sport. Not as inexpensive as the one's you mentioned but it came in a box from BWD Automotive. I ended up having my Jeep towed home because I knew I was running out of daylight. My daughter needs the car to get to school so I couldn't wait to order a part on line. Thanks to everyone on this thread as it made the repair much easier with all the advice. I'm hoping it is fixed as I drove it for about 15 minutes after the replacement and the oil light did not come on.
This forum is fantastic!
Thanks again to everyone!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score

BWD Automotive, a large company that makes many aftermarket parts, pretty common in most auto parts stores. What the BWD actually stands for i forget, someone told me once.

Members online