Passanger side air bags

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's one for you "wise" ones out there. On my 04 i noticed when i put a gal. of milk in the front passanger seat. The air bag is turned off. I'm guessing by the weight? Like the wieght of a child. Now... Is there any way to turn it off manually? I used the search fourms and came up with nothing.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would you want to turn it off manually? It knows when it should be on or off.

Short of pulling fuses which would probably turn yours off too, no..

There is a sensor in the seat that knows when something is in it. Cant remember what the weight value is for it to be turned on.

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would you want to turn it off manually? It knows when it should be on or off.

Short of pulling fuses which would probably turn yours off too, no..

There is a sensor in the seat that knows when something is in it. Cant remember what the weight value is for it to be turned on.

A few of the last vehicles i had used the ignition/door key to turn on/off. The pregnant wife doesn't like it on when riding shot gun. At least while the lil one is still cooking.:rolleyes: Just one of those things that you hear about over and over. No worries though. Thanks

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
A few of the last vehicles i had used the ignition/door key to turn on/off. The pregnant wife doesn't like it on when riding shot gun. At least while the lil one is still cooking.:rolleyes: Just one of those things that you hear about over and over. No worries though. Thanks

The said switch is weight/pressure activated and is normally open (turned off) up to a certain weight at which point when in a collision and a child is sitting in the passenger seat the air bag will fire and inflate with less overall pressure so that it decreases the likelihood of breaking the neck of the occupant.
I have seen switches equipped in other vehicles (Dodge Dakota for example) that allow you to disable the air bag or (in other makes) turn it down for light weight people.
I have not tried this, nor do I recommend doing this, but you might try unplugging the switch from underneath the seat, place 25 or so pounds on the seat cushion and then start the vehicle and check the air bag light to see if it is disabled.
Like I say, I have not tried this. I spend most of my travel time in the passenger seat and I want that small explosive device to be in working order in case someone one collides with us.
However, it would be nice to have the option to disable both when I drive off road.
As far as the wife having a bun in the oven, I'd rather her have the airbag activated and her head hit an airbag opposed to her having her hit her head of the dash board or windsreen.
Just safer.

Last edited:

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the point i have made to her as well. But she is a woman and she is pregnant. So you see where i'm comming from? Thanks for the input. It will just have to stay the way it is.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I see your point.. Not sure what I would do in that position. Have you read up on this situation to see what the recommended thing to do is?

I would say if the air bag didnt fire and something happened to her, that would be worse than having the bag fire....

rchung813

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see your point.. Not sure what I would do in that position. Have you read up on this situation to see what the recommended thing to do is?

I would say if the air bag didnt fire and something happened to her, that would be worse than having the bag fire....

She can be a back seat passenger. No airbags :)

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

As Jeepjeepster said, it's automatic. There is a sensor in the seat that detects when *something* is on the seat, but that something isn't heavy enough... ie, a small child.

However, I have to add that I'm not sure why she'd be nervous about this. The NHTSA is 'reviewing' the issue, but from a standpoint of logic, assuming she's a full sized passenger, this shouldn't be an issue. For instance, the airbag would probably be better than her pregnant self slamming against the dashboard or worse, flying through the windshield. Also, there's evidence she'll take more damage from the seatbelt than the airbag. It's recommended that women who are pregnant don't cross their abdomen with the belt, if possible. Ie, put the shoulder portion over the collarbone as high up as possible, and the lap portion of the belt under the abdomen.

It was found that airbags were dangerous for children because they deployed at their heads, causing their necks to snap back resulting in injury. I believe the NHTSA has merely recommended sitting as far back from the airbag as possible, but hasn't declared that they're dangerous (or more dangerous than slamming into the dashboard, steering column or my favorite: flying through the windshield).

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's one for you "wise" ones out there. On my 04 i noticed when i put a gal. of milk in the front passanger seat. The air bag is turned off. I'm guessing by the weight? Like the wieght of a child. Now... Is there any way to turn it off manually? I used the search fourms and came up with nothing.

I dont know of any way to turn off the air bag in a KJ
what I have found is that any thing with a reasonable back seat
pre '03 does not have an on off switch for the air bag
my '03F250 Ext cab has a switch
the wifes KJ ,no switch
my '02 TJ switch
my brothers '07 Scion Xb ,other brother has a Jeep thank goodness, no switch

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's an idea. Just don't get into an accident then you don't have to worry about it. :D

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's an idea. Just don't get into an accident then you don't have to worry about it. :D

I'll keep that in mind!!:D But i do live in California:eek: It's the other " no driving, tailgating, idiots" i need to convince.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online