parts store doesn't sell lower radiator hose??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gramps

Reaction score
ok, I'm sniveling, I've called every parts store in town, no one sells the lower radiator hose for my '05 libby with a power tech 2.4L gas engine.

I can buy the hose through amazon for about 42 bucks or so, but I wanted to buy local because it's leaking now, and I don't want to wait for a mail order hose to show up.

none of the local parts stores have a listing for a lower radiator hose for the 2.4, it's weird, you would think you could buy one, the jeep ain't that old.

I got the Goodyear part number and even tried that, no one around here sells Goodyear hoses and the number doesn't cross reference into anything else.

can anyone give me another part number for that lower hose that's not Goodyear? or cross reference a Goodyear 66039 part number?

I even called the dealer, they said they can order it, takes about a week to get it in stock, and the cost is right at 100 dollars, heck, I can do the same thing for 40 bucks!

someones gotta help me out here, I'm about to call the crises hot line! ;O)

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
A good parts store should be able to order one for you, besides the ****zones and crap places like that .
But you have a strange bird there, ( with the 4 popper) not many out there so demand is small

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I would prefer the Mopar hoses that are EPDM quality.
Alternatively Gates hoses are also EPDM. Edit: Gates does not make one for the 2.4 Huh? Oh well.
Edit: On the 4 ****** is the thermostat also on the lower rad hose?
If so install a new one, while there.

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's one for $24.

Crown Automotive Radiator Hose - 52079706AB

For that price you could pay for overnight shipping (assuming they offer it) and probably still come out okay.

I will say that Avondale ships fast even at their normal "free" rate, should you decide to stick with the Mopar hose. (Crown sells a generic.) I ordered upper and lower radiator hoses from Avondale earlier this year and got each in just a couple days. That won't solve your leak right now, but it may come down to Hobson's choice if you can't find one local at any price. :)

Last edited:

Gramps

Reaction score
that crown hose is the upper hose, almost had me all excited there for a minute, I ended up ordering the lower hose off ebay for 45 bucks, it wouldn't be here until tuesday of next week, so hopefully the car holds out that long.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
that crown hose is the upper hose, almost had me all excited there for a minute, I ended up ordering the lower hose off ebay for 45 bucks, it wouldn't be here until tuesday of next week, so hopefully the car holds out that long.

Duct tape

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use some of the silicone, self-adhering tape. Can get it at hardware stores even.. high temp, seals well, cheap... great temp repair for a buldged/bursted, cut, cracked, leaking rubber rad hose.

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
without knowing the pipe ... could you not use just standard 2 or 2 1/2 or whatever it is ... or is there a factory kink in it ?

Gramps

Reaction score
the Libby was leaking coolant so bad that today I decided to tear it apart and see what I cold do, I didn't have to dig very far to find the problem, the lower hose is fine, the thermostat the upper hose goes into was leaking, the gasket is shot, and it's right above where the lower hose connects, so it was dripping down on the lower hose making me think that the lower hose was the problem.

I called the auto parts store, at least I can get a thermostat and gasket for it, but they won't have it in till 7pm tonight, it's not a part they stock.

I will have that car fixed in the morning :O)

Attachments

• DSCN0199.jpg
    DSCN0199.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN0200.jpg
    DSCN0200.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN0198.jpg
    DSCN0198.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN0197.jpg
    DSCN0197.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 11

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
What kind of coolant do you have in there? I had a place use the wrong stuff and ended up with a leaky water pump and a bad O-ring on the radiator petcock. I'm wondering if that might have contributed to your thermostat gasket leak.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, since you have to fill it anyway after the thermostat replacement, I would flush that thing good and get the right stuff in there. If the Liberty has an Achilles heel it is that it is very picky about the type of coolant used.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The OEM 195 degree thermostat has an air bleeder hole. I used a Mopar replacement.
52498[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

I suppose if your replacement does not have a bleeder hole, you could drill a small hole.

Attachments

• JeepMoparThermostat68174083AA.jpg
    JeepMoparThermostat68174083AA.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online