Parting out a 2002; any items that won't swap over with an early 2003?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Begle1

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Liberty (early '03, so actually manufactured in late '02 and with the 45RFE transmission) in good shape with 250,000 miles and a transmission that's going out.

I can buy an okay-shape 2002 Liberty for sale for $1000, with a "newly rebuilt transmission" and 125,000 miles. Apparently it has brake problems.

My ****** guy wants $1800 to rebuild the transmission in mine, so this seems like a no-brainer.

Both have the 3.7 liter V6 and the Selec-Trac 4wd system.

Does anybody know if any major parts, especially in the drivetrain, won't transfer over painlessly?

I figure I'll pull out the engine, transfer case, hubs and electronics modules to keep as spares... Any other parts I should make a point to keep before sending the other Jeep to the crusher?

Anybody want anything off the '02?

Thanks.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Where are you located
would help if someone needs anything
02-03s are basically the same unless its a early 02 then could possibly have a dirty five under the rear
02s have rear drum brakes, 03s have disc
few things like that

Begle1

Reaction score
Located in Maui, Hawaii.

They're actually calling it a "mechanic's special" because the rear axle or brakes "are making lots of noise, we don't know what it is". But it's got the drums and mine has the discs, so that's the one part that I know isn't common between the two anyways.

The whole thing seems too perfect honestly.

What does "dirty five" refer to?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The rear diff,.....
99% are the 8.25 Chrysler rear diffs
The very first 02s were sent out with Dana 35s hence the dirty five cause they are junk
Pretty easy to find rear axle/ brake noises , beware what else they are saying whats wrong or just rebuilt
Get receipts for any repairs they have done recently to make sure

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would salvage some Window Regulators and motors if they are the same and the Stepper Motor for heat selection.

Also front and rear Wiper Motors and the Multifunction Switch and Hazard Switch!;)

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Between my 02 and 03 - the transmission is definitely different; that also made the front prop shaft different as well.
the door panels have cloth inserts vs vinyl

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Between my 02 and 03 - the transmission is definitely different; that also made the front prop shaft different as well.
the door panels have cloth inserts vs vinyl
Depends build date
some 03s are same as 02s, transmission wise, later in 03 build they switched

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends build date
some 03s are same as 02s, transmission wise, later in 03 build they switched
Interesting for sure. I want to check my build date again between the 2. See what you guys think. I thought I had one of the oldest 02s but I don’t have the unicorn 35 in the rear end

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting for sure. I want to check my build date again between the 2. See what you guys think. I thought I had one of the oldest 02s but I don’t have the unicorn 35 in the rear end
Most of what I have found out seen the 35s were installed in first ones made in 01

Latest posts

Members online