Parking Brake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeridmar6

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty 3.7L 4X4 Rotors all around and am about to work on the parking brakes (need a service and am not paying $200 Cdn so I am doing it myself). I consider myself a middle of the road "back yard mechanic" I am not a certified mechanic. I do my own brakes, suspension work on my Jeep and I also have a Grand Caravan that eats brakes like crazy (which is everyones complaint BTW).

I have viewed videos, saw a post on this site with photos BUT I cannot locate anything on how to adjust the parking brake cable.

I understand that the parking brakes do NOT self adjust. When replaced, the common question is, "when I replaced the parking brake shoes and retracted the star adjuster, when I pulled the brake lever, the brakes did not lock". How do I adjust that cable so when I re-install the shoes, how do I adjust the cable so when I pull the E-brake handle, there is actually a brake application? Thanks in advance for the advice. One post says the cable adjusts into the handle but I cannot find photos or vids.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cable is supposed to auto adjust at the handbrake lever. There is no nut or screw to turn to adjust it.

kage860

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Each parking brake assembly has an adjustment screw that is supposed to adjust in reverse. Alternatively you can adjust the star adjuster on that screw until you feel resistance when you spin the axle,then back off the adjustment a bit so you dont drag the brakes when you drive.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Adjust the shoes so there's like a 1/16" gap or so between the shoes and the inside of the rotor. Make sure there isn't any drag. Then to self adjust, go in reverse and gradually pull up on the handle.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Once in there, a new spring kit & shoes will be in order. I used NAPA..and updated everything!...
55850[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

My e-brake rear shoes were in bad shape..
55852[/ATTACH]"]

The hardware kit is not that easy if you have never done it before, need spring tools.
Anyways, the spinners do need to be adjusted properly, I do this every time it's on a lift.
If the e-brake handle, comes up too high, you use the screwdriver trick to help the auto slack adjuster tighten the cable, and keep handle low and holding better.
55854[/ATTACH]"]

Where the brake handle is, look back in between slot and you will see as above.
Pull up on brake handle, & using a long handle slot screwdriver, hold back adjuster on+ and release brake back down.
May have to repeat this a few times, but you will see the handle tightening and Jeep holding better.
I keep the long handle slot screwdriver in glove box and use it often.

Attachments

• NapaRearBrakesComplete.jpg
    NapaRearBrakesComplete.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 3
  • EBrakeShoes.jpg
    EBrakeShoes.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Slack%20Adjuster%20KJ.jpg
    Slack%20Adjuster%20KJ.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 3