Parents, any ideas for our toddlers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.5-year-old son who has a heck of a time trying to climb into the back seat since our Liberty's are higher off the ground than normal sedans. There's nothing he can grab on to in order to pull himself up into the backseat so he grabs a hold of the door handle. He's a 38 lbs kid and I can see the door handle bend down. Sooner or later he'll end up breaking the door handle and, of course, I'd like to prevent this from taking place. Does anyone have any good ideas on how we can assist a toddler to pull himself up into the back seat? :-k

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, no kids, but did you think of using running boards or side steps? You might take a look at what Mopar has for example. They don't look too bad.

www.mopar.com

BTW, thanks for your service. usa.gif

04RkMtnKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an idea, I havent done it because I have no children. Maybe try and attach some kind of tether to the handle right above. I wouldnt recomend him using it to swing on just something to grab and give a little pull up.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas.

I thought about the side rails, but I already have rock rails, and I'm not sure if it is worth while spending 3-4 hundred on them. Besides, he's going to grow taller very fast.

The tether idea is neat; I thought about that. I'll have to carefully study some more.

Thanks, again!

BTW, thanks for your service.

Proud to serve! usa.gif ...and proud to be one of very few 2005 Renegade owners in this country.

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
I simply use a small plastic step stool, a kids toy kind, that I keep on the floor in front of my 3 yr olds car seat. It is about 8" high and is just what she needs...

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My daughter rests her right hand on the armrest on the door (not the handle) and her left hand goes on the upper part of the wheel well curve next to the seat. She then pushes herself up with both hands.

dnm45227

Reaction score
My little boy does the door handle thing, I've wondered how it would up too.

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHUD said:
My daughter rests her right hand on the armrest on the door (not the handle) and her left hand goes on the upper part of the wheel well curve next to the seat. She then pushes herself up with both hands.

He he

thats what my 4 and 5 year olds do as well

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
The crawling in idea got sent packing when my wife saw how muddy her darling little girls got while doing that in the freshly "wheeled" KJ... :-({|=