Parade mode lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking thru the factory owners manual and came across something called 'parade mode'.

It's supposed to put the highbeams on with the low beams for 'day light brightness'

Has anyone heard of this? Used it? Tried it?

ups4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the "Parade Lighting" refers to the instrument cluster.
I'm not exactly sure what the differences are between the parade lighting and the non-parade lighting, but :confused: .

Of course "I love a parade" :D .

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parade Mode ensures that you can see readouts such as your clock or odometer in full daylight with the headlights turned on.

Try this: with your headlights turned off rotate the cluster illumination control (just inboard of the headlight switch on the turn signal stalk) all the way forward until the overhead lights come on. Now go back two clicks - this is the normal 'maximum brightness' for the cluster. Now turn on your headlights and you'll see the cluster/odometer/clock all dim down. Now turn the cluster switch forward one click and watch what happens - all the instrument lights come up to full brightness. My understanding is that it's done this way so that the lights are not so bright at night that they distract you from watching the road (like we don't have enough other stuff to do that).

EDIT: this information pertains to U.S. model KJs, I have no clue if it is standard on export models (but I'd like to know).

Last edited:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you pull the stick towards you and keep it there ( before it clicks into high beam ) both spirals get juice so high and low beam are on at the same time. Don't use that for more then a few seconds, it generates a lot of heat...
I always keep high and low beams on when I am driving through dark areas, plus I get to keep my fogs.. Haven't had any problems yet.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can find an old Chrysler owner's manual that same feature was called funeral mode, guess parade was less morbid than funeral

Bob

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Parade Mode ensures that you can see readouts such as your clock or odometer in full daylight with the headlights turned on.

Try this: with your headlights turned off rotate the cluster illumination control (just inboard of the headlight switch on the turn signal stalk) all the way forward until the overhead lights come on. Now go back two clicks - this is the normal 'maximum brightness' for the cluster. Now turn on your headlights and you'll see the cluster/odometer/clock all dim down. Now turn the cluster switch forward one click and watch what happens - all the instrument lights come up to full brightness. My understanding is that it's done this way so that the lights are not so bright at night that they distract you from watching the road (like we don't have enough other stuff to do that).

EDIT: this information pertains to U.S. model KJs, I have no clue if it is standard on export models (but I'd like to know).

The same as our Canadian model.

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what Corwyyn means ? I know that the little switch on the indicator stalk adjusts the dash lights ,each click dims or brightens them a little at a time on last setting interior lights come on.Is this what you mean ?.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, thats what he means. There is a certain spot that turns everything on FULL brightness.

I usually keep mine dimmed to the lowest as it keeps the inside lights from coming on when you open the doors. I do not need those to come on to get in and out.