Paint chipping/flaking on stock rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Hi there, I know most of you here have replaced your rims (what did I say in my intro thread, I can't afford too much of this site) but anyways, my stock steel rims have the silver paint flaking off from them and it's starting to look pretty crummy. Has anyone else had this and re-painted them or anything? Any suggestions?

When I first bought it, it had those fancy looking chrome wheel covers, but I thought those looked too girly and flatlanderish(?); IMHO I figured the first time I did some serious 4x4in' I would lose at least one of them. so took them off and sold them on ebay.

Thanks in advance.

jimkelly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep painted mine with High Heat engine paint. If i remember correctly it cost me about $25.00 bucks to paint all five rims. Supplies needed are the paint, sandpaper, tack cloth or rags & masking tape.

Here is a picture after they were painted. There is a close up of the rims in my user album on this site.
You must be registered for see images attach

They have been painted for about a year and a half now and I recently had new rubber mounted and only had to touch them up slightly after it got back from the shop. (tire mounting process scraped them around the bead slighty)

teddyearp

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys. LibertyTC, that video looks like the stuff, but I gotta drive mine, so I may have to do the shortcut method with the index cards. Here's a pic of the wrost one, I'm hoping to maybe repaint them with some rustoleum shiny aluminum paint from my work, but maybe I'll look into either the engine paint or the Duplicolor wheel paint (at least their clear coat).

Attachments

• IMG_20110206_092203.jpg
    IMG_20110206_092203.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 52

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wheels look abojt the same:disgust:

I'll probably either paint them. but, I'm considering powdercoating or possibly Duracoating them

http://www.houtsenterprises.net/index.html

DuraCoat is designed as a firearm finishing product, but we have used it on motorcycle parts with pretty good success. They have tons of different colors. It's super tough and durable, and you can apply it youself with no need to bake it like powdercoating. The only drawback is that it takes a few days to fully cure, so you may have to do 1 wheel at a time.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I have painted rims before and all I can say is the prep & clean work is everything.
It would almost be easier to have the rims media blasted if flaking badly. Then a quick primer coat before laying the paint on. I know if I was to take the time to do all that work, a clear coat would be considered a must.

rcjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to dig up an old thread. Looking at the duplicolor site, is the HWP-102 Graphite the color that matches what was on the stock steel factory rims? I want to paint the outside face back to factory in the spring and clear coat them. The backs I am going to do in black.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that color is a bit darker than the silver stock color.

Pretty sure that is the paint I used on these.
You must be registered for see images attach

The paint on mine didn't hold up to off-roading they chipped and then started to rust and peel. They say that primer is optional, but use it; and use a few coats of clearcoat to help seal and protect them, maybe that's will help.
I have recently had them powder coated.

Also, be aware that the Duplicolor also takes a few days to fully cure.

Last edited:

rcjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that does look darker but I do like it. I saw that it takes a bit to cure. I guess it might have to sit on blocks for a bit if I do it with this stuff