P0139 intermittent/rough idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaybird91

Reaction score
Hello , So i had an issue this week with the p0139. The stubborn 02 sensor was giving me problems. Scanned and reset twice. I drove on the fwy the second time with my scanner to make sure it wasn't pending. I then drove it to get smogged and it passed luckily. On top of that i have another question/theory.
Has anyone had this issue of rough idle and possibly misfire related code for some reason while using or powering there radio or headlights? i get a rough idle for a good moment while turning these electronics on when at a stop light in Drive.
04 V6 liberty - Thanks

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
P0139 O2 Sensor 1/2 Slow Response, best to replace the 02 sensor with NTK sensor.
Jeep is very particular about charging & voltages. Have you had the battery load tested?
Using a VOM what is the battery output voltage while engine running?
Rough idle or misfire, Have you tried installing new spark plugs ? Use ONLY NGK ZFR6F-11G gap .040 inch.
Eventually it may set a code for the misfire, which would be helpful.
If the Jeep is high mileage replace the coil packs, as it is considered a tune up item. I used Standard Brand, but Mopar coil packs are best.

Jhkj04

2004 kj
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Similar issue, rough idle and code said both rear 02’s. Replaced these and now no code but idles real rough in park and at a stop. Swapped the plugs to find some random brand and installed Ngk. It’s better but not right yet. Looking at the old plugs I’m guessing number 6 needs a coil pack? Also I swapped batteries and added an additional ground while checking the pcm ground and engine block grounds that all seam clean and good. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 5B235D14-1478-4968-B4C3-2B20D6A621E7.jpeg
    5B235D14-1478-4968-B4C3-2B20D6A621E7.jpeg
    334.8 KB · Views: 5