Overheated today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StrayKatJJL

Reaction score
This may sound funny, but I replaced my thermostat a while back with an expensive one - AutoZone - but didn't trust it because feeling the bottom and top hose it didn't seem to me to be opening right. I bought a replacement - stock - and decided to test them all. I heated up a pan of water and while using an infrared laser thermometer I could tell exactly when they opened up. I think its suppose to be like 185 degrees - the expensive one didn't open till 205 (so my hunch was right) and the cheap one was like 188 which is the one I put in. I had comfort in the fact that at least I could see it open .

Willkk75

Reaction score
Towing my 5x8 single axle V-nose box trailer (maybe 1000 lbs). with maybe 500 lbs in the trailer.
running down the road at 55mph AC on, maybe 80 outside, mild hills. about 12 miles down the road the dash starting "dinging" and I discover that the temp gauge is pushing near the top of the gauge.

I shut off the AC and pulled over, cooling fan was on, I put trans in N and temps went back down.
I went about 2 more miles pulled into gas station to get water. Once I could open system it was only down 1/2 gallon but the LS top of radiator split :( ******* out pretty good.

I have had problems with temp rising pulling this trailer in the past using OD, and I forgot to lockout OD. maybe that was the cause. But after leaving gas station (now OD locked out, and AC off) the temps swung pretty bad. 1/2 to 3/4. but than all of a sudden leveled out (like thermostat was stuck)

A couple weeks ago I did put a non Jeep thermostat in it when I was installing an AC delco water pump and belt tensioner.

After about 2 hours down time to unload and setup furniture I returned home but I kept OD locked out and it never pulled over 1/2 way. a couple miles before home I switched to OD on and temps started to rise again so maybe the trans heat is causing this.

but the way the temps swing after this happened I believe the thermostat might have stuck than opened.
The aftermarket thermo is coming out and Jeep going back in when I replace the radiator.

So now I also need a radiator. I see the alu one on Ebay for around $70
I see Murry at oreilly is like $160.
advanced is 150 with lifetime warranty
autozone 160 with lifetime
Rock wants $232 for Mopar
rock has the denso (heart next to it) for $95.
I seem to remember saying Mishimoto, they are 96 on amazon

what do you recommend?

This jeep sits a lot in a storage lot (with 50w solar on it). But I need it to tow my boat
(new boat that I just ordered. The boat and trailer is 2200 lbs
from storage to lake is 3.5 miles so I think the jeep can do this :)

last question, would an aftermarket fan in front of radiator help? maybe a switch under dash to turn it on when towing?

Several years ago my A/C went out and I had a mech diagnose it for me. Turned out to be the condenser but he also "correctly" told me I had a pinhole in my radiator. At the time my 05 KJ was my daily driver so I replaced the the condenser, radiator and thermostat with whatever I found to be the cheapest at the time "wasn't an avid member here yet".

Mine has a cooler in in the radiator. I believe I spent $60 or so from parts.com or somewhere like that. Around the same time I changed the trans fluid and filter "about 100k on my KJ".

I have had ZERO overheating issues and I pull my 800 lb. Quad in my 5x7 trailer through mountain areas in the summer in Nevada. I also lifted mine which causes it to have less balls under those conditions and it's constantly downshifting to get up the hills.

If I had the time and $ when I had my issues I would have definitely done things a little differently but I have put 68K on since the replacement so my advice would be just get the best parts you can afford and have some faith in and you should be fine.

wrenchman9

Reaction score
Having been in the business for 40 years I can tell you this, read the ratings on the parts you intend to buy, especially the negative ones. It's pretty easy to make up your mind if you read the ratings. Factory parts can be very expensive and in most cases are a total waste of money. Radiators are a prime example as are starters and alternators. Buy a good aftermarket radiator. Don't skimp on a thermostat though! Buy Stant or another name brand. Don't buy white box or store brands.

If you're overheating towing a relatively light load in moderate temperatures and the top of the radiator blew out I'd have to check for combustion gases in the cooling system. I good shop will have the tester for that. The radiator should not blow apart before the pressure cap releases. The line to the recovery reservoir is sufficient to handle the flow of hot coolant if the cap releases UNLESS the pressure becomes very high. You can't compress a liquid so something has to give.

The KJ has Tow/Haul for a reason but 1000 pounds or so should be fine in OD. I can't understand why people refuse to use the Haul option and insist on using OD when towing! Other than reduced mileage I can't wait to hear the rationale for keeping the vehicle in OD when loaded down with a trailer that causes the trans to constantly shift down when encountering even a slight grade. I own a KJ as my primary vehicle so I know exactly how they behave with a trailer on.

I think I'd be, if for nothing else peace of mind, have that vehicle checked for combustion gasses in the cooling system BEFORE I declared it repaired. Of course, you have to button up the cooling system in order to do that. The way I'd handle it in my shop is I'd button up the colling system repair and take the vehicle for a good road test and get her up to operating temp and do the check.

After you're all set get it out of OD when you tow! Especially that boat!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
wrenchman9
Way off base on aftermarket parts
The Libertys only like certain parts, like Mopar thermostats , NGK spark plugs etc
Same with aftermarket radiators most all are total junk
Stants do not do well in the 3.7s, has been proven over and over

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, in 2016 I installed a spectra premium rad and it's still going strong to this day. Almost 80,000km. I don't have hd cooling or have even towed anything though. There's an OSC radiator on rock auto that looks interesting. I'm going to have to do some more research on that one.

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

MAKER OF CRD SERVICEABLE THERMOSTAT ASSEMBLIES
Reaction score
Towing my 5x8 single axle V-nose box trailer (maybe 1000 lbs). with maybe 500 lbs in the trailer.
running down the road at 55mph AC on, maybe 80 outside, mild hills. about 12 miles down the road the dash starting "dinging" and I discover that the temp gauge is pushing near the top of the gauge.

I shut off the AC and pulled over, cooling fan was on, I put trans in N and temps went back down.
I went about 2 more miles pulled into gas station to get water. Once I could open system it was only down 1/2 gallon but the LS top of radiator split :( ******* out pretty good.

I have had problems with temp rising pulling this trailer in the past using OD, and I forgot to lockout OD. maybe that was the cause. But after leaving gas station (now OD locked out, and AC off) the temps swung pretty bad. 1/2 to 3/4. but than all of a sudden leveled out (like thermostat was stuck)

A couple weeks ago I did put a non Jeep thermostat in it when I was installing an AC delco water pump and belt tensioner.

After about 2 hours down time to unload and setup furniture I returned home but I kept OD locked out and it never pulled over 1/2 way. a couple miles before home I switched to OD on and temps started to rise again so maybe the trans heat is causing this.

but the way the temps swing after this happened I believe the thermostat might have stuck than opened.
The aftermarket thermo is coming out and Jeep going back in when I replace the radiator.

So now I also need a radiator. I see the alu one on Ebay for around $70
I see Murry at oreilly is like $160.
advanced is 150 with lifetime warranty
autozone 160 with lifetime
Rock wants $232 for Mopar
rock has the denso (heart next to it) for $95.
I seem to remember saying Mishimoto, they are 96 on amazon

what do you recommend?

This jeep sits a lot in a storage lot (with 50w solar on it). But I need it to tow my boat
(new boat that I just ordered. The boat and trailer is 2200 lbs
from storage to lake is 3.5 miles so I think the jeep can do this :)

last question, would an aftermarket fan in front of radiator help? maybe a switch under dash to turn it on when towing?

Your 2006 Liberty Limited has the 3.7L V-6; yes?

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your 2006 Liberty Limited has the 3.7L V-6; yes?
yes to gas engine. I also surprised to see in owners manual that the towing capacity is only 2000 lbs

3.7L/Automatic 4x4
GVWR 5,600 lbs (2 540 kg)
GCWR 7,400 lbs ( 3 356 kg)
trailer frontal area 32 Sq. Ft. (2.97square meters)
towing capacity 2,000 lbs (907 kg)
tongue weight 200 lbs (91 kg)

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all back together.
mishimoto radiator
new thermostat housing
new Mopar thermostat (brand new stant came out)
new gates upper and lower hoses. I put wires from hold lower hose into new hose

no leaks, works great.

Latest posts

Members online