OnStar in a Jeep!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teckman02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get a mirror from Best Buy or a lot of other retailers I believe, but it's just going to give you directions & connections or the emergency crash response. You won't have the full benefits of a GM OnStar system.

Why would anyone want GM crap in or on there jeep and I work for GM

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Come on it's the inter web! Save it for lost were there is only one option.
But does GM own Onstar? Just wondering I don't care who does.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Subsidiary.

Marlon is right. OnStar is a separate legal entity wholly owned by GM. It's relatively seamless from an internal perspective. OnStar employees have an OnStar email address, GMers have a GM. Both are headquartered in the Ren Cen. Pay, Benefits, etc are consistent. People rotate back and forth - for instance, I could work jump.to OnStar for a couple years and then transition right back to GM seamlessly. There's no real internal difference. We even use the same computer systems.

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I have more questions.
Are those Ren Cen employee's the ones that answer the calls( don't know what it's named). Or do they do the technology for GM. Both ?
I just learn that Motorola is owned by Google. When could something that's nothing ( information- just organized) own something that's like nuts and bolts?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I have more questions.
Are those Ren Cen employee's the ones that answer the calls( don't know what it's named). Or do they do the technology for GM. Both ?
I just learn that Motorola is owned by Google. When could something that's nothing ( information- just organized) own something that's like nuts and bolts?

I don't believe the actual call center is in the Ren Cen. All the OnStar back office stuff is though - advertising, accounting, IT, business operations. I think the call center(s) are located elsewhere, but I am not sure where.

bwflorida

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's A Better Way

Okay, so I have this ambitious new idea I might actually try to do. I found some overhead OnStar consoles on ebay and wondered how much it would take to install one in my KJ and then, of course, buy myself an OnStar subscription. The Aveo console looked like it might fit alright, but who knows. Any ideas/suggestions? Will this even work? What are your opinions?

That's way too much work!
The quick and easy way is to just get an OnStar FMV that replaces your vehicle's original rear-view mirror.
Amazon has them, or you can also get them at some of the local automotive add-on places, who will also install it for you.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What are the real benefits of OnStar aftermarket if they don't give you what they do on a GM model?
I can't see why anyone would want or need it in the first place even on a GM so just curious why anyone would buy aftermarket. Vehicles today already have enough electronic crap that people are being told they have to have to be safe, is this one of those types of products? Just curious.

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen a couple posts in here that imply that Onstar uses satellite. FALSE it uses cell service. The only satellite is the GPS receiver. So if you are out of coverage you are still out of luck.

Don't believe me Google it, also look at the coverage maps.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just looked at the coverage maps, everywhere I travel down home in Southeast/Southern Ohio there is no coverage, just like cell service. So as I had thought its worthless except for city people driving around town.
I love how all of these companies are making folks think they need things like OnStar, ABS, computer telling you that you are driving too close, all a bunch of hogwash, the dumbing down of the driver:imo:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
True they are different but see no need or value for either one.
If you need a computer to tell you are getting too close to someone, you should of never got your license in the first place.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
True they are different but see no need or value for either one.
If you need a computer to tell you are getting too close to someone, you should of never got your license in the first place.

It helps people to feel more secure, being able to talk to someone when they need help and no one else is around or available.

Me, personally, I don't need it either but I can see why others would like it. :)

Members online

No members online now.