Only 2WD and 4 Hi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Splatt

Reaction score
Only just got my KJ a couple of days ago. Transfer lever will only move between 2WD and 4Hi positions and movement seems very stiff. In 4Hi "part Time" light displays on dash. It felt as if 4WD was engaged but was on road so didn't want to try it out too much.
However, no way would lever pull up further into Neutral position or 4Lo
Any suggestions or advice please?

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To shift into 4LO your transmission should be in neutral, rolling 2-3mph. Don't stop at neutral on the T-case lever, straight through...if that doesn't work, you have a problem.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
put transmission in Neutral while rolling slow (sub 5 mph, seriously don't be going faster)

Pull on transfer case shifter through 4H to 4L and (try to) not pause in neutral on Transfer case. Slow rolling makes it easier / smoother.

Will not go into N or 4L unless transmission is in N.

Reverse procedure to get it out. Its best to be in 4L before you need it and plan ahead.

If you have issues make sure your on reasonably level ground when you first try this and you will get the hang of it. If your not rolling sometimes you will be unable to get 4L to bite and stop in transfer case neutral, hence why slow rolling is better.

Also in manual for Jeep.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get on a dirt road too. 4hi and 4lo should only be used on a surface that will "give".

Only if you have the optional transfer case with 4-full time you can use that 4-full time option on any surface.

If you have an owners manual it will explain it better.

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the 4wd was not used often it can be very hard to shift.When you shift into 4low you must yank that shifter hard,and to the right(if I remember right,been a long time since I had the stock t-case) in one swift movement.Man it's been so long since I had a single 4wd shifter,almost have forgotten how they work.

At least once a month go to a grassy/gravel field/road and shift into each 4wd range and drive around for 10-15mins in each.Helps keep everything lubed and makes shifting easier after awhile.

Splatt

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I discovered it was simply operator error !!
I have to move the lever to the left out of 4H !! Looking at it today in daylight helped me to see the controls better. I guess I have spent too long driving Land Rovers that don't have that precuationary step.
As a newbe to Jeeps, no doubt I will be back again with more questions.

Latest posts

Members online