One of those gas threads again.(sorry)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So ive been driving the jeep for 2 years. Its got around 17k on it and 18k is coming fast. My parents are still footing the bill for gas so i cant complain to much, but my gosh, ive used a 1/4 tank of gas in 50miles. I am as easy as i can be on it and i still get 15mpg with little higway use, and mostly 35-40 curvy roads around my house. I do some stop and go in town but not much. I dont remeber it being this bad last winter, but i did drive on the highway alot more last year. Most of my driving is less than 10min now, could that be why the gas mileage is sucking so bad? The engine gets warm pretty fast, but im still getting 15 average. I get a good 20-21 with solid highway. Should i check the plugs? Its also got a K&N air filter. Im sure it doesnt need to be cleaned, but ill check it. Sorry for another gas thread.

Stock tires, but ive got the ome lift, but it was the same before the lift so thats not it. Im pulling the plugs tomorrow and checking those.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing seems wrong to me. I've had my KJ for only three months, drive city traffic 99.9% of my time and a 1/4 tank of gas after 50 something miles sounds normal. Lucky for me I don't drive too much in a day so I can fill up every three weeks. \:D/

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
i t ry not to worry about it. will drive you nuts...
I get about the same......in and around, depending on how traffic is.

thing that i've noticed...easy or not..(on the gas) i get the same mpg...

2003KJ

Reaction score
Sounds a little off. I can get about 65-70 miles on a quarter tank on average. You say your trips are less than 10 minutes.....yes the temp. guage is reading that the engine is warm, but its really not. If you were to stop and feel various parts of the engine, they'd probably feel pretty cool to you. Also, do you do alot of idleing before you leave? Long idle times will kill your milage in a heartbeat.

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are normal. My wife's new (2004) KJ got 14.8 mpg on her last fillup. In the summer she's closer to 16.5 mpg average. That is totally normal for the V6 models. I don't think you have anything wrong at all.

If that isn't acceptible for you, trade it for a CRD model. Mine goes 100 miles before the needle ever even budges from the "F" mark. \:D/

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
So ive been driving the jeep for 2 years. Its got around 17k on it and 18k is coming fast. My parents are still footing the bill for gas so i cant complain to much, but my gosh, ive used a 1/4 tank of gas in 50miles. I am as easy as i can be on it and i still get 15mpg with little higway use, and mostly 35-40 curvy roads around my house. I do some stop and go in town but not much. I dont remeber it being this bad last winter, but i did drive on the highway alot more last year. Most of my driving is less than 10min now, could that be why the gas mileage is sucking so bad? The engine gets warm pretty fast, but im still getting 15 average. I get a good 20-21 with solid highway. Should i check the plugs? Its also got a K&N air filter. Im sure it doesnt need to be cleaned, but ill check it. Sorry for another gas thread.

Stock tires, but ive got the ome lift, but it was the same before the lift so thats not it. Im pulling the plugs tomorrow and checking those.

Short trips kill gas mileage. I get similar mileage when doing lots of short trips. However, I can also get 17 if I try to eliminate short trips and about 20-21 or so on the highway. So you seem just about right.

Plus the difference between 15 vs 17 is only a couple bucks a month, assuming that you don't really put on that many miles a month with short trips. Even if you drove 700 miles a month at $2.50 a gallon the difference is just about 13 bucks a month. Something like 103 vs 116 dollars. Don't sweat it that much. A couple bucks a month is not worth the worrying about, especially if you are paying it. Heck you can't even go to the movies now for 13 dollars.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-=JoN=- said:
i t ry not to worry about it. will drive you nuts...
I get about the same......in and around, depending on how traffic is.

thing that i've noticed...easy or not..(on the gas) i get the same mpg...

I know!! i can hit 4k rpms everytime i pull out and still get 15mpg. Its insane.

I dont let it idle at all, if its 20F outside ill let it run for about 2min before i go just to let the oil warm up some. I might clean the filter just for the heck of it. Its got around 10k on it now.

edit, and thats another thing. I drive under 15miles a day, and fill up every week and half. Last year i drove 30miles on the highway and still filled up everyweek and half! i cant believe city driving makes that big of a difference.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is this with your parents paying for gas?!! I'd drive with a heavy foot too!
nana.gif

Anyway... I'm only getting in the 16's for short trips, two lane country roads. Usually it's in the 18's during the warm months, same driving.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:

Don't forget the engine runs richer in cold weather because the air is denser. The colder it gets, the richer it'll run, (to a point). The computer is trying to maintain the proper AFR.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
another thing to point out..since we got cold weather now, air pressure on tires dropped since the summer months..so make sure your pressure is still up.

i've lost about 6 psi from the last time i filled up (which was around september) i've checked it once a month, and it dropped dramatically once we started getting freezing weather

SkidMarkSteve

Reaction score
I got angry with my 14-16 mpg in mine, but I just had to accept it. A friend of mine at church has a Liberty and get about 21-22 mpg. Its 2wd, but dang! :-s

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been needing to put some more psi in the tires. I put 36 in them when it was 32F, It got down to 11F last night and they are at 32.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be sure you change the fuel filter about once a year. That will have an effect. My liberty gets 16-17 mpg, so your not far off.

zot72

Reaction score
My recollection is that fuel blended for winter gives you lower MPG to start with. So does a cold engine. And definitely short trips; you wouldn't believe the difference in MPG my Civic gave me between driving locally and driving to Ann Arbor (about 50 miles, all freeway).

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
zot72 said:
My recollection is that fuel blended for winter gives you lower MPG to start with. So does a cold engine. And definitely short trips; you wouldn't believe the difference in MPG my Civic gave me between driving locally and driving to Ann Arbor (about 50 miles, all freeway).
Did someone say Ann Arbor? =P~ Another Michigander?