Old Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Check out my old Rusty's shocks... notice what's wrong with them. (they don't come out when pushed in) They are about 1.5 years old.

Out with the old and in with the new,
You must be registered for see images

Bennett

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shocking

The "shocks" will not extend on their own when pushed in anyway. They are not under any pressure. They just go in and out with the motion of the vehicle with internal valve orifices determining how fast or slow they respond. O:) The old ones shown are they the originals? Looks like they were leaking.

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Shocking

valvestem said:
The "shocks" will not extend on their own when pushed in anyway. They are not under any pressure.

Geee....why do all shock manufacturers place a plastic type tab to keep them from extending when being packaged ? ](*,)
Greg

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Shocking

valvestem said:
The "shocks" will not extend on their own when pushed in anyway. They are not under any pressure. They just go in and out with the motion of the vehicle with internal valve orifices determining how fast or slow they respond. O:) The old ones shown are they the originals? Looks like they were leaking.

yes they will. Every shock ive ever seen does.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Times have changed and I stand corrected. Not thinking of McPherson struts are we? Maybe if they were gas charged.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
The rustys springs originally came with a band around the whole shock to hold them from coming out. All shocks should rebound, because of the internal pressures.

But so far I love them, and it rides a heck better. The "caddy ride" is all gone and it rides more like stock now.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gas charged shock full extend by themselves and non-pressurized shocks just sit there.

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bennet

With the RSX 17004's .

Is there any modification required to get them fitted or do they just slip right in?

i am about to fit some to my KJ

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grogiefrog, the stock shocks should last sometime. It depneds if you off road alot on bumpy roads and stuff like that. Should last at least 60k if not more. Ive seen some go over 100k.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
fouros said:
Bennet

With the RSX 17004's .

Is there any modification required to get them fitted or do they just slip right in?

i am about to fit some to my KJ

Yup, just slip right in and they fit nice and tight so you don't need washers.

Bennett

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
fouros said:
how do you find the ride ?

and what struts are you using?

Well I am using the rusty's on the front, but I can tell they are totally shot (weird noises inside the shock and its really bouncy). I have rancho's ordered for the front, but they are on backorder for a couple weeks. But the back really firmed up after installing them.

Bennett

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bennett said:
fouros said:
how do you find the ride ?

and what struts are you using?

Well I am using the rusty's on the front, but I can tell they are totally shot (weird noises inside the shock and its really bouncy). I have rancho's ordered for the front, but they are on backorder for a couple weeks. But the back really firmed up after installing them.

Bennett

backorder for rsx17505 is this a national us thing or just your supplier i am looking to get some front struts as well

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Struts have shipped and I will have them tommorow (whistle)

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For anyone interested in the Rancho RS series shocks... the part number is the RS 5248. They are $15 bucks less per shock compared to the RSX series shock. I'm running the RS shocks on my lifted KJ.