Oil smell after hard uphill pull

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

neilbedwell

Reaction score
OK, I posted back in December that I had changed my passenger side valve cover gasket to get rid or the burning oil smell. Well, I've driven it to work almost every day since then and it finally quit stinking. I have a 15 mile commute each way to work with a couple stop lights.

Now, I've noticed something that's peculiar. Occasionally, I run up to our local shopping center to Lowe's or Wal Mart. It is an uphill grade all the way for about three miles. It's not crazy steep but it seems to be a hard pull for my little Heep. Every single time I go up there I get that burning oil smell just like before I changed my valve cover gasket. Every single time. This is the ONLY time it does it. I'm stumped. :shrug:

Any clue as to why? I changed the PCV valve recently as well. No difference. Is there too much crankcase pressure and it's pushing out oil? I'm all out of guesses.

Thanks everyone!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
You are just probably burning off more left over oil residue.
When it starts to smell up that hill, pull over when you can & lift hood/look underneath.
Have a flashlight & look for leaks/smoke etc...

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check for a oil leak and if you find that there is no oil leak I would start thinking about adding a PCV oil catch can. I just added one on my liberty and it makes a big difference. Also how many miles do you have on the liberty?

neilbedwell

Reaction score
It currently has 159K and some change miles on it.

I will do a test run up that hill sometime this week and pop the hood and check. I've done that before (right after I changed the valve cover gasket) and I saw smoke coming from behind the passenger side of the engine. I let it cool and ran a paper towel on my hand around the back of the valve cover and it was clean so I always assumed it was just residual oil. After the smell went away, I assumed all was good until the next time I went to Wally World and drove up that hill.

I'll look into a catch can. I've thought about putting one of those on my truck but never thought about it for the Heep. Might be good just to see exactly how much garbage is getting blown back into the engine (I'm sure it's a lot).

Thanks!!

Members online

No members online now.