Oil pump failure on 2005 75kmiles KJ ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepykj

Reaction score
Hi,

I won an auction for a 2005 KJ 2.4L Sport Manual with 75K on clock for £1590. Basically the guy selling has been making himself very elusive since I won , did not return my calls after I won the auction, or reply to email message. after 4 days he emails me to (first ever communication) say that the engine had stopped working and engine management light is on. basically inoperable vehicle. Still dodging my attempt to make phone contact and not phoning back when he said he would. I called left voice mail to say I can pick on on a trailer transporter. He emailed to stated he needed to get the jeep to the garage to evaluate, days went by no contact, again unresponsive by phone or email, then finally at the end of the week he emailed me (after promising to phone me) to say jeep is in garage and will let me know the problem and that i am within my right the cancel the purchase, or to decide if I want to proceed knowing the problem, and totally understand if I want to cancel.

Then today I get a email from him saying that the garage has said the jeep needs a new oil pump. and now he is firmly suggesting I request to cancel the purchase. and then he will re-offer the jeep to me once fixed. I suspect at increased price. ( but why not just entertain the possibility of now selling it to me as a non runner at lower price - rather than him fronting the cost and headache of being responsible to get it fixed )

so then I email him back to ask to the effect of what OBD codes did the garage mechanic say the engine was throwing?

I then got a notification from ebay saying the seller had cancelled the purchase.

Then I had a rather long discussion with ebay support about the situation with all this going on for 2 weeks since I won the auction.

So what Im wondering is , how very likely is it the Oil pump would fail on this engine 2.4L petrol with 75K miles on it. and seemingly the jeep was running splendid before the auction. then "suddenly" stopped working. He was very elusive with what actually was wrong in the first place, other than stating it had just 'stopped working'

my reckoning is if an oil pump failed, the engine would still continue to run for a while, sound like crap and the rockers clapping all over, before basically overheating and dying.

So if it is an oil pump , is that not located inside the engine ( rather than a peripheral external component unit), which getting to it is to take all the belts of and front of engine off. Im sure the cost of that might run to £1000

whats anyone's reckoning of chances of oil pump failure.

cheers
J

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the oil pump died your engine is toast because with out oil getting to the bearings, the bearings overheat and get destroyed.

jeepykj

Reaction score
its not my engine, its the vehicle I have been contracted in buying. I dont think this whole story of the oil pump needing replacing (as the reason why the engine stopped working in the first place) holds much credibility.

After my long discussion with ebay help detailing every communication and letting them read all the transcripts, they are in agreement with me, he is in breach of his contractual obligation in selling a vehicle on the platform.

Shortly after speaking with customer support agent, I get a email from the jeep seller telling me to accept the cancellation of sale (else he will incur £150 fee from ebay - his problem not mine - a small price for messing me about for 2 weeks) and goes on to state once he has paid out to have the engine fixed he will offer it for sale back to me at the same contracted price we first agreed on. So he is honestly going to spend the best part of £1000 on getting the engine taken apart for new oil pump. and then he will sell it to me at the same price. So why does he not just do a deal with me now for me to take the jeep as non running basis for £800 less than what we have already contracted for ?? makes little sense to me.

over the two weeks he had not made any actual objection to my winning the open bids auction or in the same way served me notice of rejection to sell me at the hammer price of £1590. so that in law is taken as acceptance of my "offer" of purchase, since he did not reject it. he did not get back to me right after the auction to serve me notice of cancellation of sale due to engine packing up. he just strung me along for 2 weeks dodging phone calls and emails, and changing the story along the way.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were you I would not even look buying a 2.4 because it has no power at all. I would look into a diesel or the 3.7. Also finding parts for the 2.4 can be hard.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JeepyKJ, there are far too many "bad feelings" throughout this entire ordeal... I would forfeit doing any business with this seller and bail now, while you can.

First off, while I know insurance rates for larger displacement engines can be a total bummer in the UK, I'd avoid the 2.4 4-cylinder. As was said, go with the diesel or the 3.7l v6

That being said I'd pass on this specific vehicle. You are also trusting that he has had it properly diagnosed and properly repaired. The garage and the mechanic he took it to, could just be the neighbor kid next door who's "good with the mechanicals".

You just can't trust this seller, anything he says, or anything he does. If the oil pump failed, the entire engine is suspect. If that happened to my Liberty, I'd be buying a known good, used replacement engine from a salvage yard.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, if the 'oil pump failed', then the engine probably ran without ANY oil pressure. That's a bad thing. Sure you may get lucky and be OK after replacing the oil pump, chances are if the engine didn't seize it'll probably still run, but I wouldn't trust it. Not without a full tear down to inspect all the wear surfaces and bearings.

Also, oil pumps are pretty simple things. Basically two metal gears that mesh together, there are like 4 moving parts in them. Failure isn't a common thing and can usually be traced to exceptionally poor maintenance (sludgy oil, no oil) or debris in the oil.

Plus, how do you know this guy just hasn't decided he doesn't want to sell, or the auction didn't go as high as he wanted so he intends to relist it?