Oil mistake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJ

Reaction score
Just got finished changing the oil in my 2004 Liberty.
Problem is:
Had been using Mobile 1 5/30 for the last 10000 miles.
When I changed this time I used the last quart of 5/30 then went to the new case of,Opps, 5/20.
Question is, will mixing the 2 weights (5/20=1 quart, 5/20=4 quarts) hurt?#2. Will using 5/20 hurt anything?
My dumb mistake.
Will change again in about 3500 miles so will it be good to go untill then?
Thanks
AJ

dominator

Reaction score
Should be fine i always use 10-30 for all my vehicles, 99 f-150 calls for 5-20 and i always have used 10-30 and i have 160k on it. On my o4 liberty i run 10-30 as well cheep grade oil as long as you change it when you need to. I have several friends at work that have worked for petro companies and they say your wasting your money on buying top grade oils. Stick to the cheep stuff and change on a regular basis. This is also on my experiance having vehicles for 30 some years. Never had a problem with cheep grade oil.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got finished changing the oil in my 2004 Liberty.
Problem is:
Had been using Mobile 1 5/30 for the last 10000 miles.
When I changed this time I used the last quart of 5/30 then went to the new case of,Opps, 5/20.
Question is, will mixing the 2 weights (5/20=1 quart, 5/20=4 quarts) hurt?#2. Will using 5/20 hurt anything?
My dumb mistake.
Will change again in about 3500 miles so will it be good to go untill then?
Thanks
AJ

I think it should be fine. Newer jeep liberty come from the factory with 5w20. Suppose to better for mileage.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you will be ok.

I did an oil change once a few years ago (not the KJ) and put 4 qts of 5w30 in and then realized my other case was 10w30 so I put one of those in for the 5th quart. I changed it again at the normal interval and noticed no problems. This was dino - not syn. Still, I think you are ok.

Dave

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shouldnt be a problem at all.

I use 10w-30 in the summer and 5w-30 in the winter. The 5w-30 really keeps the engine quieter on those cold winter mornings.

redconalpha

Reaction score
0w 30 should be fine, especially in winter. The first number (the zero) is the winter weight. Lower the better for cold conditions; the second number is the summer weight, which will protect like a 30 weight in hotter conditions.

I use the 0w 30 (mobile 1) and it makes an especially big difference when starting cold.

If you have more questions, do a search for an oil viscocity chart.

Latest posts

Members online