Oil Filters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joeg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you suggest ???.......I normally used FRAM but now I've heard alot of comments against them.......

Did my first Oil Change last night on my KJ (since I bought it) and used Purolater.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Mopar filters are crap, sorry to say. It is just rebreanded junk. I use Purolators exclusively, but Mobil and Wick are other very good brands.

zeke1312

Reaction score
As to the ex Fram employee, he could have an axe to grind with Fram. I've seen his remarks on the internet some years ago. Although Fram does not have the construction of quality filters consider this. More vehicles are using the brand than all others combined. If the product caused engine problems, based on the number of Fram filters in autos today, the company probably would not survive the lawsuits. No, I don't use Fram filters, just thought I'd look at it from a different perspective.

Havoline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone out there so gullible as to think that ExxonMobil makes their own oil filters? I wouldn't trust them any further than I'd trust a Fram (which is very possibly what they are). [-(

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To add to this discussion: has anyone heard of changing only the oil filter every 6 months for a normal filter using synthetic oil? My oil was changed about 5 months ago to Mobil1, but only has a little over 1000 miles on it. I would change the filter just because there's only so long I trust it to last (Mopar), but it would seem such a waste to drain relatively unused synthetic oil good for at least 3K. What do you think of this?

Personally, even though synthetic oil is not exactly cheap, I'd change the oil at the same time anyway just for the cheap insurance. But any way to save that money for gas these days is probably a good thing...

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MadDog said:
To add to this discussion: has anyone heard of changing only the oil filter every 6 months for a normal filter using synthetic oil? My oil was changed about 5 months ago to Mobil1, but only has a little over 1000 miles on it. I would change the filter just because there's only so long I trust it to last (Mopar), but it would seem such a waste to drain relatively unused synthetic oil good for at least 3K. What do you think of this?

Personally, even though synthetic oil is not exactly cheap, I'd change the oil at the same time anyway just for the cheap insurance. But any way to save that money for gas these days is probably a good thing...

The general rule of thumb is 3 months or 3000 miles. In my opinion, if you're going to change the filter, change the oil, since you're already going to have to add make up oil to replace what was in the filter and lost in the change.

I strictly change mine to the factory maintenance schedule.

kokali22

Reaction score
thecause17 said:
The general rule of thumb is 3 months or 3000 miles. In my opinion, if you're going to change the filter, change the oil.

^^^AGREED! I try to change mine every 3-4k. I also ALWAYS change my oil filter EVERYTIME I change my oil. Why??? Cause whats the point of changing the oil, when the oil in the "OIL FILTER" is still old&dirty!!!

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Good day,
I use Mopar filters every 3000 miles, along with a new air filter at the same time.

As far as Fram not being any good?

I use them in my Austin Mini's for decades without any harm to the engine or transmission. Yes I said transmission, as the A and A+ engines share the same oil with the gear box; so the oil does double duty to lube both at the same time.
Even in my 135BHP (stock is 75hp for 1275cc.) rally engine I use Fram.
Cut them open after 1k and there is no difference as to what you find inside compared to high end filters for that engine type.

Cheers
Ry'

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with Fram has been the filter element collapsing inside and putting the filter in a bypass only state.

I avoid them completely.

I have been using K&N but have recently switched to Purolator Pure One filters

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been using Mopar filters since I'm still in warranty. I don't know how good they are or who makes them but they have the Mopar name on them so they can't say anything about "the crummy filter" if anything goes wrong.

Dave