oil aditives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what you guys think of oil aditives such as LUCAS.

when I first start up the jeep, I can here some knockings only when cold, then they go away and it's got me a little worried, I do oil changes every 3K miles but it has happened that I let it go to like 3500 or 3400 like 3 times.

any thoughts?.

thankx in advance guys.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
If the Jeep Is a knocking....It is either starving for oil or...
And in dire need of a compression test!

Last edited:

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TBJ is right. And 3500 miles on the oil is not a problem. Time intervals and driving conditions are bigger factors in oil fatigue. There are so many cars on the road that do this - not even worth worrying about. Some of the noise could be the fuel injection or engine accessories like alternator or water pump. This has been discussed here before.

I had a Dodge Neon ACR that sounded like hell on start up since new and tapped when warm. I experimented with oil weights and treatments. The thicker the oil, the louder the noises so I gave up. Last I heard the car had 140,000 miles on it's 3rd owner in Minnesota. The joke amongst Neon owners - if it WASN'T making noises, there was something wrong with it!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Mine makes the same noises. It's normal. My LR3 kinda does it as well.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine makes noise too. always has always will. It was quieter with Amsoil tho I must admit. I'm not worrying about it now. Every vehicle I've owned has done this.

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep common for the 3.7 to have a little ticking noise on startup, there are some other threads and even a video I believe about it. Mine also does this and goes away pretty quick...

Are you hearing the ticking or actual knocking?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine makes a little noise at start-up when it is cold out and then goes away after a couple of seconds.

I don't think you need "oil additives". Any good name brand of oil of your choosing has additives in it. Just my opinion.

Dave

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm old fashioned. Meaning, if you're hearing a noise, the damage is already done.

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you could try changing the grade of oil you are using. Get something a little thinner so that the oil gets up to the top end quicker. The first couple of seconds after starting are when most wear occurs till the oil presssure builds up (The time it takes for the oil pressure light to go out). The quicker you can get the oil pressure built up the better! And dont buy cheap oil filters cos they don't have a valve in to hold some of the oil pressure in when you turn the engine off! You get what you pay for in life and cheaper is very rarely better.:D

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ticking? knocking? never heard it in either of my KJ's. If you use a good quality oil, there is no need for additional additives.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get a little bit of a low tone tick/knock in mine on start-up. Mostly only when it is colder. Not so much when it is warmer. Been using Mobil 1 5w-30 EP with changes every 5k since 15k. Seems to be common in some motors.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ticking, on my jeep, i thought it was the engine, but when i got a metal rod, and put one end to my ear and the other on different parts of the engine when it was running, the sound was coming from the fuel rails,
and from what I found on this forum that is normal