oil aditives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only used an oil additive once to quite down a 300K mile 3.8L GM. Sold the car without guilt.

I'm of the same opinion as the others, good oil, frequent changes, NO additives.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Do we really need another person to say that this is normal? :D

I'll do it anyway!!!!! :) :)

Let's see, how many 3.7Ls has my family had?

Let's do some statistics here....

3.7L is in ALL of these vehicles:

'07 Commander
'04 KJ
'08 Dakota
'08 Nitro
'05 KJ
'08 WK
'02 KJ (long gone)

Out of all of these, I have driven them *all*, and 6 out of 6, which means 100% of them, tick on cold starts, especially my current one for some reason. No matter what kind of oil I use, what grade, tick tick tick for like a second or two. Then it goes away. Can't get anymore normal than that. If it DOESN'T tick, then something is wrong. lol3.gif

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just something you can try if the ticking is persistent....add a little Dexron III/Mercon transmission fluid to the oil, maybe 1/2 qt.

my first car was an older, but low mileage car, meaning it didn't get driven much. plus it had been sitting for a while. when it was cold, the valves ticked pretty bad. my mech added that ATF while the car was running, and within seconds it went away. he was old school, and had me switch to a heavier weight oil, and substitute 1qt of oil for 1qt of atf. i ran it that way for 70K+ miles before someone pulled out in front of me and totaled that car.

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just something you can try if the ticking is persistent....add a little Dexron III/Mercon transmission fluid to the oil, maybe 1/2 qt.

my first car was an older, but low mileage car, meaning it didn't get driven much. plus it had been sitting for a while. when it was cold, the valves ticked pretty bad. my mech added that ATF while the car was running, and within seconds it went away. he was old school, and had me switch to a heavier weight oil, and substitute 1qt of oil for 1qt of atf. i ran it that way for 70K+ miles before someone pulled out in front of me and totaled that car.

ATF is a no no! Especially in modern engines. You might have gotten away with it because of the thicker oil but since you didn't take apart the engine and find the wiped camshaft and dished lifters, you really don't know.

Again, good oil, no additives. Good oil already has additives.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ATF is a no no! Especially in modern engines. You might have gotten away with it because of the thicker oil but since you didn't take apart the engine and find the wiped camshaft and dished lifters, you really don't know.

Again, good oil, no additives. Good oil already has additives.

i was waiting for this...and yes, i had the valve cover off at about 90K miles due to a leaking valve cover gasket.

the viscosity's are nearly the same between 5w-20 and dexron III.

my point was, if you are having a true problem with valve ticking due to oil issues, atf can help remove deposits.

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all these miracle additives where so great they oil companies would add them themselves.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all these miracle additives where so great they oil companies would add them themselves.

for the most part i agree, but then, why don't auto manufacturers add all the latest safety innovations to all of their cars?

it becomes cost prohibitive to package everything together, which is why certain things are sold a la carte.

i agree that regular oil changes are all that is needed for the most part, but some engines develop nuisance problems that aren't always remedied by a regular oil change. hence the reason why people seafoam their engine, add injector cleaner, and put additives in their oil.

eliotal

Reaction score
The ticking bothered me too so I flushed the engine with Amsoil flush and it continues to make the ticking noise. It is even louder now at start up. It goes away after a while so I will just leave it alone. I use synthetic oil and no additives, they really do nothing. I've read somewhere that oil companies recommend not to use additives.

Latest posts

Members online