Off-Roading w/a 5-Speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah ya, young folk!
They ought to just stick to their Atari crap!
hah.gif
The funny thing is if you're old enough to know what the original Atari is you're not that young. :D
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

Reaction score
I'd highly beg to differ.......................

The torque mulitplication a TC gives you is far better then a clutch.A manual you will have "shock loads" which will break parts(u-joints,ring gears) which a auto will never see since the TC absorbs this type of shock before it can reach the driveline.

No granted a manual will always give you a lower crawl ratio but unless your running 40"+ tires and running a 2L I-4 engine you don't really need that 120:1 to even 200+:1 crawl ratio's that can be acheived with a manual trans.90% of the time a crawl ration of 40:1-60:1 is well more then enough and can be acheived very easily by both a auto and maunal trans.

A well maintained auto will also outlast a manual trans before needing any major service.And a auto trans will 99% of the time be stronger(handle more torque) then a comparable manual trans.

i'm just saying what i've experienced. i've been stuck 1 time and i've crashed 1 time doing donuts. the stuck was pulling out another jeep. i went to the badlands 6 times this year. every time someone with an auto is having trouble on things i coast right over. my jeep isn't really that built up. but time and time again i find my self either pulling people out or making a spot look way too easy. granted i burned a clutch out, it also had 3 different drivers in the 500000 miles and 2 of us learned to drive on it. besides, driving a stick is way more fun

Reaction score
Yeah...Not having ABS is annoying when you live in NY and near a crapload of hills =[

we had an inch of snow the other day and the last thing i drove in snow was my moms pacifia (has abs) so when i tried to slow down the brakes locked up. it scared me for a second then i remembered how to get it to slow down

Reaction score
Why do you want hand throttle....? The later 3.7's where drive by wire right? So they should automaticaly adjust throttle to your needs.

On the CRD we have auto throttle :D

On the manual / auto discussion: I tried both and as TJKJ says that third pedal can became a nusance when things get scary. IMO you have more control over the vehicle not having to do three things at the same time, just use your right foot to get you through the rough.

I have had bad experiences with Chryler auto's though, but that was in my Voyager days.

i think it depends on the situation. i was trying to go up a steep hill that got muddier the farther up you got. i was in 4lo and needed to get to 3rd gear to make it up. as i was about half way up i went to shift into third and i hit a rock and missed the shift. went back down and tried it again and made it. the other 2 jeeps were automatic and it took them a few more tries.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as i was about half way up i went to shift into third

this statement right here shows your lack of off road experience
you NEVER shift on an up hill the goal is to keep a steady throttle
if it requires more speed get it at the bottom and keep it until the top
if you are making hills and guys with autos are not they have even less
experience than you have
I do not even let my auto shift on up hills
for me it is all day long 4lo and first gear

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
J-ThompsonQuote:
Originally Posted by ms5490renegade
as i was about half way up i went to shift into third

experience than you have
X2

You never upshift going up hills when offroad.I'm also in 4lo/1st gear unless we hit ba smooth section and can speed up past 5mph then I will let my trans go into 2nd,but as soon as the next obstical or downhill/uphill climb comes into veiw it goes back into 1st gear.

I never have a problem with long,steep hill climbs,muddy or not.I just start in 1st gear(4lo) at about 1500rpm's or so and by the top I may be pushing 5000rpm's but never shift into 2nd,oh and pushing that little button and the added traction of the front DTT(it will be missed) always got me up with little drama.

C.W.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm interesting in the hand throttle b/c I don't have a third leg--it's strictly for use off road, when needed. I love manual transmissions, but they can be a pain off road at times! Just want to make life a little easier.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm interesting in the hand throttle b/c I don't have a third leg--it's strictly for use off road, when needed. I love manual transmissions, but they can be a pain off road at times! Just want to make life a little easier.
Adding a hand throttle is easy.It can't be done on a '07 KJ and '08+ KK's though(no throttle cable period).I used the hand throttle In the military HMMWV's all the time,mostly as cruise control,works wonders in 60" of water and your more interested in breathing then keeping your foot on the throttle.They are all auto's though.

Reaction score
experience than you have

this was a special circumstance. we were lost in the woods on some atv trails and this big hill was the only way out. there was a muddy puddle at the top leaking water down and there was a near 90 degree turn about half way up. there was no room to get speed and i wouldnt have made it in 4hi. i though second would be fine but it wasnt

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
If that was the badlands hill in october that we were on, Rob and I made it up in 2wd, and drive.

You just had to go fast, that's all.

C.W.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adding a hand throttle is easy.It can't be done on a '07 KJ and '08+ KK's though(no throttle cable period).I used the hand throttle In the military HMMWV's all the time,mostly as cruise control,works wonders in 60" of water and your more interested in breathing then keeping your foot on the throttle.They are all auto's though.

It's a good thing I have an 05 KJ then! Thanks for the input.

2006 KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
humm... i might as well jump in here.. haha

i LOVE my 6 speed on and off road. nothing better in snow and ice than a stick.. picking your gear cant be replaced by electronics. as far as offroading.. i choose my gear accordingly and do the obstical in that gear.. if i need another one i'll stop and choose a different weapon (say use 3rd if i need more wheel speed for a slippery hill.. or 1st if there are a lot of rocks..) most the time i find my 2nd or 3rd gear crawls at the same pace as an auto.. 1st is too low of a crawl ratio (with a 6 speed atleast) for normal trail riding.. i have used every gear 1-6 in 4-lo.. and 6 is still low enough for me to walk beside the jeep at an idle.. a fast walk.. but still. i can see where auto's would be an advantage sometimes offroad.. but to me it feels like your "riding" in an automatic where your "driving" a stick. hand throttles? never used one (besides a tractor)... and never missed one. i've only had to heal-toe once.. there a hand throttle would help.. but that was only 1 time. i've seen a lot of people use a bicycle lever and brake cable for a hand throttle.. if anyones thinking about doing it

as far as tips for offroading with a 5 speed.. just get out and do it. no better way to learn than experience. dont speed shift in 4lo... give it time between gears or the jeep wont be happy in .. 4hi shift however fast you wish :). as far as hills and rocks. i never slip the clutch.. just let it up and it'll go with the multiplied tq of low range. sure it might take a little bump to get over something every now and again.. but that's no more wear on the clutch that starting at a stop light.

NOW GO WHEEL! all of you!!! :)

Last edited:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
humm... i might as well jump in here.. haha

i LOVE my 6 speed on and off road. nothing better in snow and ice than a stick.. picking your gear cant be replaced by electronics. as far as offroading.. i choose my gear accordingly and do the obstical in that gear.. if i need another one i'll stop and choose a different weapon (say use 3rd if i need more wheel speed for a slippery hill.. or 1st if there are a lot of rocks..) most the time i find my 2nd or 3rd gear crawls at the same pace as an auto.. 1st is too low of a crawl ratio (with a 6 speed atleast) for normal trail riding.. i have used every gear 1-6 in 4-lo.. and 6 is still low enough for me to walk beside the jeep at an idle.. a fast walk.. but still. i can see where auto's would be an advantage sometimes offroad.. but to me it feels like your "riding" in an automatic where your "driving" a stick. hand throttles? never used one (besides a tractor)... and never missed one. i've only had to heal-toe once.. there a hand throttle would help.. but that was only 1 time. i've seen a lot of people use a bicycle lever and brake cable for a hand throttle.. if anyones thinking about doing it

as far as tips for offroading with a 5 speed.. just get out and do it. no better way to learn than experience. dont speed shift in 4lo... give it time between gears or the jeep wont be happy in .. 4hi shift however fast you wish :). as far as hills and rocks. i never slip the clutch.. just let it up and it'll go with the multiplied tq of low range. sure it might take a little bump to get over something every now and again.. but that's no more wear on the clutch that starting at a stop light.

NOW GO WHEEL! all of you!!! :)

I am not trying to be an a$$ by any means
I am going to say that if you do not see the need for a hand throttle the you are not wheeling technical trails
also you say that you can "crawl" in 2 or 3rd as good as an auto
really
I can crawl to a dead stop ,turn sharp, and move again all with little to no added stress on my drive line
no hand throttle and you are no going to be able to hold your front tires tight to a rock ,root or log, and go up it on an up hill
with out bouncing all over the trail

2006 KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not trying to be an a$$ by any means
I am going to say that if you do not see the need for a hand throttle the you are not wheeling technical trails
also you say that you can "crawl" in 2 or 3rd as good as an auto
really
I can crawl to a dead stop ,turn sharp, and move again all with little to no added stress on my drive line
no hand throttle and you are no going to be able to hold your front tires tight to a rock ,root or log, and go up it on an up hill
with out bouncing all over the trail

actually.. yes... you can.. and all the "added stress on drive line" is not there if you know how to drive.. this video is me wheeling my dad's rubicon through a rock garden.. it's a 6 speed and i only had to bump the gas once at the end.. all the rest was at an idle in 2nd gear.. soo where's all the "added stress". the white rubicon in front of me had 37's and about a 6.5 inch long arm...and he's stuck, stalling and slipping the clutch our jeep has 35's and a 4.5 inch long arm.. and i idled through it. it's all about if you know how to drive or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xs8qUHBxmg

the debate will go on forever.. boils down to person preference

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
actually.. yes... you can.. and all the "added stress on drive line" is not there if you know how to drive.. this video is me wheeling my dad's rubicon through a rock garden.. it's a 6 speed and i only had to bump the gas once at the end.. all the rest was at an idle in 2nd gear.. soo where's all the "added stress". the white rubicon in front of me had 37's and about a 6.5 inch long arm...and he's stuck, stalling and slipping the clutch our jeep has 35's and a 4.5 inch long arm.. and i idled through it. it's all about if you know how to drive or not.

Rubi's have that "terra Low" 4lo range that is real good on the rocks too. Nice.

Common guys and gals, wheel with what you like and have. And enjoy.

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Having 4:1 low in the Rubi is alot different then the 2.72:1 in a KJ.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well then, lets have a good ol red neck pull out and see who wins! Then I can post it on youtube! Think of all the awesome comments that will take place! :D

Haha, we can argue all day long about which is better. Its all about personal opinions. Although dodge is better than ford or chevy. :rolleyes:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adding a hand throttle is easy.It can't be done on a '07 KJ and '08+ KK's though(no throttle cable period).

Not sure on this, but I am betting it can be done, maybe even easier. Just need to modify/relocate the OEM pedal. Extend some wires, and you're done. Hell, I bet with a selector switch you could have a regular foot pedal, and then switch over to the hand throttle when desired ;)

Members online

No members online now.