Off-Roading w/a 5-Speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The art of downshifting and your foot pumping the pedal is far better then any computer can do:D.

You know, ABS is nice, but in deep snow, I want nothing to do with it. So usually I'll just pull the ABS fuse. I should fab up an On/Off switch for it. Hmm... another Jeep project! LOL

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah...Not having ABS is annoying when you live in NY and near a crapload of hills =[

You don't need ABS. It's one of those things invented........oh nevermind. You don't really want to know. You will do fine without it. All you need is common sense.

The neverending 5 speed/auto trans debate, and now ABS...... See what you started with this thread, Bethany???......hehehe

Anyway, BTT. Find a dirt road and get the "feel" of 4x4 in first and second gear. Feel the shifts, the tach and your speed, and the road and get used to it. You will be fine with a 5-speed. You won't be going fast off-road anyway. You will be ok.

Dave

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really just can't imagine driving an automatic Jeep, except maybe a Grand...but, to each his own. And Chrysler automatics are ticking time bombs, well maintained or not. You guys will start seeing that once your milage starts creeping up there.

I love my NV3550. Can you tell? No hard feelings, guys.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I really just can't imagine driving an automatic Jeep, except maybe a Grand...but, to each his own. And Chrysler automatics are ticking time bombs, well maintained or not. You guys will start seeing that once your milage starts creeping up there.

Riight, Thats also a full load of bull!
Buddy of mine has a 426 Hemi Cuda with an auto box (Yes, it's a clone, but it's still a 426 Hemi with 700 almost 800 or more hp.) and that ****** does just fine.

While I'm at it... ABS? Again, for people who do not know how to drive.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Chrysler automatics are ticking time bombs, well maintained or not.

Whoever told you that grossly misinformed you.

******'s.....standard or auto, use what you prefer, but if you use or prefer one over the other, then it doesn't mean the one you don't prefer is a POS. They both have pro's and con's like anything else. Nothing wrong with Mopar A/T's. In fact they readilly handle more torque. The A/T equipped KJ has a tow rating of 5,000 pounds while the standard is only rated to tow 3,500 pounds.

If the 5 speed is your prefference, enjoy it.

If there was anything wrong with the A/T we would know about it on this board because there are a lot of them out there with various amounts of mileage and a lot with off-road use on them.

Dave

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Don't you think that they all (meaning auto and manuals) have the potential to be 'ticking time bombs' with the right combination of miles, stress, age or whatever on them?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Don't you think that they all (meaning auto and manuals) have the potential to be 'ticking time bombs' with the right combination of miles, stress, age or whatever on them?

Ok, weather you want to believe this or not...
When my father retired his 1965 Ford Country Squire, it had roughly 325000.0 miles on the clock. My sister took it over and the box had in excess of 450000.0 miles when it just didn't work anymore! By that point, the car was dead!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old man's '01 Ford SD just past the 620,000 mile mark,same auto ****** and engine.He has the fluid flushed and filters changed about every 30,000 miles and he tows his 30' horse trailer or the 40' flat bed trailer with on average about 20,000lbs of weight all the time(10 or more times a week).The trans is totally stock,the 7.3 PS has a 180 BullyDog chip and 5" straight pipe exhuast.

Check out most of the drag race cars and you will see automatic transmissions also since they can be built stronger and they break less parts when luanching,gotta love that trans brake:D.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whoever told you that grossly misinformed you.

Dave

Oh Dave, nobody told me anything buddy. I wish somebody told me about Chrysler automatics. I speak from experience. I've owned two Dodge Rams and a Grand Cherokee and have been on various Jeep Forums for eight years. These trannys have issues.

TjKj, are you really going to compare factory Chrysler/Jeep transmissions to a Ford Super Duty or...giggle...a drag race car??? I'm not bashing automatics as a breed here...just the select few Chrysler autos that have found their way into certain Jeeps and trucks over the years.

I'm not going to start a debate because people love what they currently own and I am outnumbered severely on this board, autos to manuals.

Let's agree to disagree! I always wanted to try that. One love, two fingers.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TjKj, are you really going to compare factory Chrysler/Jeep transmissions to a Ford Super Duty or...giggle...a drag race car??? I'm not bashing automatics as a breed here...just the select few Chrysler autos that have found their way into certain Jeeps and trucks over the years.
Nope just stating that auto's are not ticking time bombs and can be built to handle more power then a manual.Oh and the main trans you are talking about is the 42RLE(A604).But just like anything failures will happen to all makes and models,manual or auto it's called mass production.You really can't upgrade a manual trans but you certianly can modify a auto which is always better in my book.Oh and adding a HD clutch does nothing for the power handling of a manual trans.

Do I like to drive a stick? Sure I do,for road racing and such but get in the mud and rocks and that stick becomes a hinderence,and yes I know how to drive a stick.There enough going on when climbing rocks that the 3rd pedal becomes annoying when your trying not to blow up a D30A.

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto here, I would not have bought my KJ if the dealer couldn't find a manual trans. I have nothing against the automatic drivers here but for myself I've had nothing but poor luck with the auto trans.

Both of my last cars needed new ******'s when I traded them in ( MAZDA ) ( HONDA ), I don't drive hard and had them serviced as required.

As far as off-roading - no problems with the stick as long as it's not rock crawling.

Long live the manual transmissions.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see a bunch of people talking about how they "love their sticks off road"
How many if any have a hand throttle?
I know that almost everyone who I wheel with that has a stick has a hand throttle
I had one on my Ranger ,best ghetto mod ever because I had to rig it up to work

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I'd just like to emphasize that the A604 is NOT a 42RLE.

It is RELATED to it but they are NOT the same. The 42RLE is much more beefier, much more reliable, not a piece of absolute garbage, etc.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
My old man's '01 Ford SD just past the 620,000 mile mark,same auto ****** and engine.He has the fluid flushed and filters changed about every 30,000 miles and he tows his 30' horse trailer or the 40' flat bed trailer with on average about 20,000lbs of weight all the time(10 or more times a week).The trans is totally stock,the 7.3 PS has a 180 BullyDog chip and 5" straight pipe exhuast.

Check out most of the drag race cars and you will see automatic transmissions also since they can be built stronger and they break less parts when luanching,gotta love that trans brake:D.

Ah ya, young folk!
They ought to just stick to their Atari crap!

C.W.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of a hand throttle, do any of you have a recommendation/preference? I'd rather just buy a kit than build it, it's easier on me that way. Thanks in advance.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Speaking of a hand throttle, do any of you have a recommendation/preference? I'd rather just buy a kit than build it, it's easier on me that way. Thanks in advance.

From what I have seen of hand controls, you can surely modify some high end mountain bike controls and manufacture something just as good if not better.
But that is just me... I didn't waste money on four years of mechanical engineering education for a hobby for nothing!

Members online