Off Roading in a Limited?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KOrgan0824

Reaction score
Hey all, I own a 2002 KJ Limited Edition with no modifications, no lifts, etc. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to take it off-road... Nowhere too extreme, obviously. Peter's Mill Run in Virginia looks very easy and has a rating of 2-4 on Jeep's Badge of Honor App. Just enough to get the old KJ dirtied up a bit it seems. What do you think? Should I stick to the paved roads or give the trail a shot?

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have skid plates, tow points, a friend to go along with you , just in case ?

Ruby

Reaction score
With the right recovery gear and a willingness to make repairs, you can do any trail. :p
If you have never been offroading before, don't start with jeep badge of honor trails, even easy ones. Get on sites like All trails and look for firebreak roads, outdoor service roads, the kind of thing government employees drive trucks up and down. Those are gona be the easiest trails you can find and as you work your way up you'll not only have greatly improved skills, you'll understand more of what your vehicle is capable of.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Traction & aggressive All Terrain tires are very important off road. What tire brand model, size are you using now?
Good Kevlar tires have thick sidewalls, & offer much greater puncture resistance.
They also can be aired down within reason, for better traction.
I run the GY Wrangler All Terrains with Kevlar sidewalls.

Attachments

• GoodYear Kevlar Tires.jpg
    GoodYear Kevlar Tires.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 3

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Hey all, I own a 2002 KJ Limited Edition with no modifications, no lifts, etc. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to take it off-road... Nowhere too extreme, obviously. Peter's Mill Run in Virginia looks very easy and has a rating of 2-4 on Jeep's Badge of Honor App. Just enough to get the old KJ dirtied up a bit it seems. What do you think? Should I stick to the paved roads or give the trail a shot?
Check out my Great Basin trip thread. That’s what you can do on and off road with a stock style suspension. You go in low and slow and you’ll be shocked what a Libby can do. I had many a wrangler and FJ driver ask me “ How’d you get here in that?”
I was fully loaded with almost 900lbs of gear. Five Mile Pass. Conger Mountain. Amasa Basin. Lots of places that don’t show on a map.
That trip is what convinced me I needed to get off the p.ot and put in a lift, etc.

Don’t let the internet fool you, a Liberty is a mini beast. And likely one of the cheapest Jeeps to upgrade, even with the scarcity of upgrades.

Reactions: klc

Latest posts

Members online